How to get my 11 month old to eat solids??

I have been only breastfeeding her since she was born. My lactation consultant/homeopath told me that the longer I wait to give her solids the less allergies she is likely to have(my family has a BUNCH of allergies to food). But now I am trying to start her on solids and she gags every time!! I'm just not sure if I should worry or just let her explore the food and their textures.

blb006

Asked by blb006 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be careful of the type of foods you are feeding her. try fruits first. Bananas, manderine oranges, and etc.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would start out with something mashed and mixed with bm- we started with cereal, I know a lot of people are starting with mashed fruits or, oddly enough, avocado. Go for the least allergenic foods first- things that don't have anything in them that someone in your family is allergic to. The longer you delay the introduction to those, the more likely that your lo will either be able to handle it, or tell you if it makes them sick. Either mash or puree them then slowly work up to more textured foods as the baby gets used to it, and remember not to push the solids- she will eat them when she is ready. Kudos for EBF for 11 months.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009