Flu vs. swine flu (n1-h1)

what is the difference? My friends DD just went to the Dr. and tested positive for the flu and he is treating it as though it is the swine flu. How do they tell the difference?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Health

• i wanna know too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Two different viruses cause the two different illnesses. When they test, they are looking for a specific virus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have become the authority on H1N1 at my work (RN at a daycare with about ~950 kids, no kidding).
    Each year "seasonal flu" viruses come around and they are usually Type A or Type B. They have different names, Type A HongKong, Type B Taiwan, depending on where that particular virus was first identified. The scientific community has learned how to predict which strain of flu will "probably" come around next season and make vaccine based on that prediction. Sometimes they are wrong and more people get sick whether or not they got a flu shot.

This year, the new flu, H1N1, has NEVER been seen before in humans. So NO ONE (or very very few) have ever been exposed to it so NO ONE has any immunity built up. That's why it's such a big deal. Those of us over a certain age have natural immunity to some of the flu strains, some of the cold viruses, etc, because over our lifetime we have either been exposed to it (cont)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• and our bodies fought it off, or we got sick and built up antibodies.

This flu is the "same" in that the symptoms are the same: fever, cough, body aches, maybe sore throat, stomach stuff (vomiting/diarrhea). But many, many more people will get sick and the PROBLEM is the people with compromised immune systems: the very young, the very old and the people with medical problems (diabetes, asthma, emphysema, etc.)

When a patient has flu symptoms, usually docs dont' test to see what kind it is. They were testing this past spring, because it was a new thing and they wanted to see how it was spreading. The Centers for Disease Control now are asking for only sick hospitalized patients or sick healthcare workers to be tested, because anyone who has the symptoms will be treated the same way.

I hope I was clear enough. Feel free to pm with any other questions. I may miss ?s here. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever, a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009