Does anyone's toddler try to sit on your baby?

My 2 YO keeps trying to sit on my 6 month old! I can't keep him away from her! He acts (mostly) loving towards her...Jealousy? I'm so afraid he's going to hurt her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I actually have a picture of my 30lb 18 month old son sitting on my 15lb 5 month old daughter who I had put on the floor for tummy time. He was bouncing on her and yelling, "horsey!" She was laughing away. Babies are a lot tougher then we think.

He probably just wants to play but doesn't understand how to do that. After I took a bunch of pictures of my son squishing his little sister I pulled him off and we talked about being nice and gentle with the baby and then he held her for awhile and they played nice together on the floor. They are turning 8 and 7 (in October and November) and are best friends now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My 2 year old didn't like the new baby at all - his first response after meeting new baby was to whack him in the head. He tried to hide him between the tub and toilet, tried to put him in the dryer, the garbage - you name it - he was completely green with jealousy. He got over it - somewhat. LOL Good luck Mommy, just keep your eyes peeled.

If he's acting mostly loving - he may be mimicking what he's seen ; like daddy sitting on momma tickling her - who knows. Just keep your eyes on him so he don't hurt her out of loving on her too hard.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my SS for the most part also is loving. but bc its been just him and daddy his whole life now the baby's here and he gets a lil jealous. he doesnt sit on him, but tries to bury him beneath ALL his toys. went in baby's room one morning and my SS had buried him under all the toys in the crib. INCLUDING the activity table!! my LO is 9 months old, and so a lil more durable and will fight back already, but yes it will take a lil time to get used to the siuation i guess.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• at least yours never tried to COOK his sister!
    i have pics of my two oldest (then 9ths and 2yrs) and my son put his baby sister in the largest pot we had! (thank GOD! not on the stove!)
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• What about a 6 year old and his 4 year old sister who tried to throw their new brother out the window because he was too noisy?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2009