how old before baby can be carried in a sling/harness?

We have a baby harness thing that you can wear around your body and sit the baby up in it with his legs dangling out. I don't have the original packaging cause my husband bought it before I met him to tote the cat in (yeah, i know..) but I was wondering how old infants need to be before being carried in one of those?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• birth. from day one mine used a sling (or bjorn). facing your body until they're strong enough to hold their head up without tiring, about 3 months...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Umm...they need to be born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i started carrying my son in a sling when he was just a week old. i just bought a carrier. he is 2 months. for the front and the back. i carry him in the front. as long as your baby can hold his head up with a little support, he should be fine. but i wouldnt cary him in the back until he is at least 6 months.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Before they can hold their heads up on their own they need to be facing you or in the cradle position. Be mindful of the umbilical cord stub. Once they can hold their head they can sit up and face out. I love wearing my baby and he loves it too! But I would buy a new sling or harness. You want to make sure it hasn't been recalled and not damaged. Plus if it has cat hair or dander on it that might not be good for a very small baby. I spent a ton of money on a fancy sling and found out they have some nice ones at Walmart for a fraction of the price.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2009