Do you require your teen to have a job?

Just wondering, it will be mandatory that my DS now 15 look for a job when he turns 16 just a few hours a week would be great. I had to have a job when I was growing up and it think it is important to teach a good work ethic. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My kids aren't teenagers yet, but it seems to me that generally it would be a good idea for a teenager to have a job. However, if a teen isn't getting good enough grades, then I wouldn't let them work and would require them to apply themselves first and foremost to their studies. I am all about requiring summer jobs!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• mine are not teenagers as well but i would never let her work during the school year school comes first, summer time then yes a job would be ideal at the age of 16 and up
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 4:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes, it is very important that they begin to learn both the value of working and money and the sacrifice of "no ones going to hand anything to you". Both of my sons had jobs - I required then to work part time. School always came first - but work was important too. I also required them to save a portion of their income.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son is not a teen yet but my husband and I both agree that when he is in high school, he will either have to get a part-time job or be a part of an extra-curricularactivity. I didn't do either my 9th grade year and it was my worst year. In 10th, 11th, and 12th grade I either held a part-time job or played sports. I think either one helps a child learn responsibility.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• MAKING them save... how does that teach them anything if their mommy makes them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• man im so different lol id never force my child to do an extra curricular activity.. or force a job least not during the school year, when in school that is first a job is an extra and happens in the summer and they can do as they wish with that money... if they blow it tough luck dont get anymore from me
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes. If they want to drive then yes, they have to have a job. Our house rule is that our children could not get a job until the summer in between grades 10 and 11 and they had to be Juniors before they could get their licenses. They also need pt job in order to go out with friends after they're Juniors. No job, no hand outs. Our older 2 didn't want to work on the weekends so they were out of high school before they got their licenses and they had pretty dull social lives. My younger 2 chose to get jobs last summer, got their licences last Aug. and got their 1st cars last Dec.. During the school year they work on weekends only. Their work schedule is tailored to their activities so they work 8-20 hours a week during the school year and 23-30 hours a week during school breaks. They choose to save their money when they work extra hours so they always have extra money and can always pay their own bills.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Cont'd. They pay their own car insurance and cell phone bills ($30 a week) and put gas in their vehicles. Whatever is left over is their's to save or spend. They keep very busy with sports (football for both, cross country for 1 which is in addition to football and track) and my son who does football and track also does drama (2 productions a year which means rehearsals during football and track season). They also find time to spend with their friends, too and aalso spend time with us as a family. Their grades haven't suffered any. Last year was their 1st year to work and one maintained a solid 4.0 and the other had a 3.5GPA for their Junior year of high school.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• MY SON DID NOT WORK WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL, HIS JOB WAS TO GET THE GOOD GRADES THAT GOT HIM THE SCHOLARSHIP, TO ME THAT WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY JOB EXPERIENCE. HE DIDN'T WORK DURING THE 4 YEARS HE WAS AT THE UNIVERSITY EITHER, HE GRADUATED CUM LAUDE AND MADE THE PRESIDENT'S LIST EVERY SEMESTER.
    NOW THAT HE HAS GRADUATED WITH HONORS HE IS READY FOR THE REAL WORLD.

Answer by older at 7:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Your good saying 16. Kids usually start getting anxious at about 13 so I would say 14 to work out of the home but they will know how to maintain most of the household chores by then, Those ethics will be learned in the home and taken with them to heir out of home work. JMO I tink its only appropriate.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 7:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009