Can anyone disprove this?

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it." Mark Twain

...I think he may be right. ...so sad. so sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It makes my stomach turn b/c it is so true.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• lol. it is not meant to be sexual. ...instead, think of the people who abuse animals and think it's funny. ...that sort of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Hmm, I've seen cats play with mice they've caught before killing and eating. Looks like they are having fun to me.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• In general it is very true.
    From what I know, we are the only species that kills for pleasure...etc.

Finds it necessary to fight amongst ourselves, for things other than survival.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Humans are definitelyone of the few species that preys upon itself.  Maybe it is because the only natural predator we have is the virus.  Or maybe it is because our superior intellect also leaves us open to more mental defects.  Kind of like the more complicated something is, the more likely it will break down and the more things that can go wrong.

Who knows!  I'm just hypothesising.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• hmm...there is a species of apes that are cannibals. they will kill any other ape that gets too close to their food & then they will eat them. from the Planet Earth thing i watched they said they have no idea why the apes eat the intruder...but i dunno if thats the same thing as humans killing just cause they can...

but Mark Twain was very smart, i would take his word for it. and even if its not 100% true it carries a very powerful message.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Your Q made me think of this scripture (2 Timothy 3: 1-5): "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth."
    Just as we're all seeing today?
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 11:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2009