SAHM's...what do you do with your kids after school??

I'm currently on maternity leave and I love being able to pick my 6 year old up from school each day!! Once we get home I give him a snack and then we do homework. Dinner time is around 7pm, then bath then bedtime, which is 8pm. We get finished with homework around 4ish...what should I do with him until dinner time?!? I know it may sound silly but as a working mom things were always rushed when we got home. For now I'm allowing 1 hour of tv. Should I have him do some practice workbooks or free play since he's been in school all day. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I take ds to the park, or let him play outside. I think after being in school all day, then doing homework, he deserves some time to play and just be a kid. Not every min needs to have structure to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We do all the same stuff: snack, homework, and a cartoon. After the cartoon he and his sister go play (she isn't in school yet). That usually gets us up to dinner time. A few days a week we have other stuff: soccer, church, library. If you feel he needs extra work on something in school, then maybe a fun worksheet or some reading time (we do but I don't consider it "school work"), otherwise, he's been at school all day, just let him chill for a while.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I do the same with my g.kids as I did with my boys. We come home. They drop backpacks and lunchboxes in the kitchen and go straight to their rooms and change out of uniforms. While they change I go through backpacks and sign anything that needs signing. If homework is assigned I set it aside. They get a snack then do homework. After that we set out uniforms for the next morning, choose after school clothes, pick night time storybook and have them all in place in their room. They are free to play, color, ride bikes, swingset whatever the weather allows until supper. we eat around 6. Toys have to be put up before they eat. After supper it is bath time. Then they can read or do puzzles only. If a show they like is on sometimes they watch TV for a while. Many days they watch non at all because TV isn't allowed on before school. Brush teeth, story set alarms in bed at 8 for them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• In warm months my kids go outside to play after they finish their homework. Usually their friends are knocking on our door around 3:30 (they never seem to have homework). They come in for dinner at 5 and go back out until 7:30 then come in, clean up and get in bed by 8pm.
    In the winter they just watch TV or play with each other. Not sure what I would do if there was only one of them. They have a built in playgroup (they are 9, 8, almost 7 and 3 1/2).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I help her with homework, read, watch TV and we eat as a family.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

•  My boys have a little more structure week there is really no time for play until the weekend. Tue, Wed & Thu they have football practice so after school its uniforms off homework done and get ready for practice, practice is from 6-8pm then its home showers dinner and bed. Mon&Fri they like to go to the library.

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• homework until 4:30 then the t.v. can come on if he ask or we go run errands or to the park. . dinner is at 6:00 then his sister get her bath followed by his. then Sister goes to bed and he gets a snack and then he goes to bed by 730.

You just gotta find what works for you. I wouldn't do work books but asking him to do some silent reading for a while might be a good idea. The park or outside time. Finding an activity he can be involved in may be nice to, if it is feasible. My son has Religious Ed. on Thursdays.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Maybe find something like swimming, soccer, whatever sport that he is interested in trying?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I use to sit outside bench and wait for my son after school. When he arrived I always offered a drink or Popsicle so we can sit and talk about our day. It was a good way to relax and he tell me about his day. It became a tradition which I will always remember.  =]

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 2 days a week she has cheerleading.i do work pt.on tuesday night///and on thursday she has girl scouts.but she is older.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009