Will you buy your teen a car and pay for ins, gas maint???

Just wondering my DH x is telling him to buy his son a car. The thing is that his son got fired from his job about 6 months ago and refuses to look for another when there is plenty of places within walking distance. My DH told his son that he must have a job to pay for ins, gas, maint and 1/2 of the car. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Nope, if they want that privilege they will have to have a job and pay for it themselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We offered our boys the opportunity to get 50/50 matched funds. Only one took us up on it. We told them if they keep grades up, get a job and save money we will match funds. They had to pay for gas, maint., tags. We did put our youngest on ins. for a short time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It depends. School comes first but if he is doing good in school and is playing a sport or involved in some sort of activity then we will probably help him get a good used car. If his grades slip or he is not involved in an extra-curricular activity then he will have to get a job to pay for his car, gas, insurance, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with Anon. It is not a right to have a car, its a privilege. If he doesn't have a job then why does he need a car?????
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Agree with your husband. Let your son earn that privilege just like it's a privilegeto drive not a right. 

Looks like he'll have reliable transportation.  His Feet! 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I gave my son my car 2000 Toyota Celica when he graduated high school...paid off, but he pays for insurance and gas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is something my husband and I have argued about and I won. We won't buy our kids cars. We might buy them and let them pay us back but they will pay for them themselves!
    My reasoning comes from when I was a teenager. Most of my friends parents bought them cars, 2 friends had to buy their own. The friends who had to work and pay for their cars took care of them, wouldn't let anyone drive or borrow them, wouldn't drink and drive in them, and wouldn't be reckless in them. They worked hard and weren't willing to throw their hard work away by risking it. The majority of my friends who's parents bought the cars were very care free, partying and what not. To the point that one friend killed 2 other friends and seriously injured himself and another friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I will not buy my son a car, I will go 50/50 if he has a part time job and can pay for ins, gas and maintenance. I had to buy my own first car and pay for everything. I had a job and got good grades too. I took care of my car and took pride in the fact I paid for it myself. I want to teach my son responsibility so he will have to work for it.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We helped each of our children make the first purchase - but they had to contribute. I spent a lot of time taking them back and forth to work while they saved. When they had reached an amount either equal to 1/2 the purchase or down payment price - we threw in the other half. After the initial purchase they were fully responsible for their insurance, maintenance and gas. If they lost a job I would loan them the money for gas for job hunting - if it ran to a point of me needing to make a payment or pay the insurance for a month, I would do that. BUT they had to turn over the keys until they could take the bills back over. It was a roller coaster/ titter totter of a ride keeping the balance but it taught them a good life lesson. They knew I'd be there in times of real need but wouldn't bail them out for the sake of bailing them out. I held them responsible but helped them when they had a true need but they had to pay it back.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• DH and I are actually arguing about this very thing lately! We have always told DS (now 16) that we will match up to $1000.00 for a used car when he gets his license, well he goes for his road test next Wednesday and has $0 saved! He worked when he didn't have hockey camps with DH this summer and was supposed to put 1/3 of his check ($8/hr) in savings, well DH let him just put it in an envelope in his room and guess what it's spent! DS cannot work during the school year because he has hockey practice 3 nights a week and after the 30 minutes travel each way, 1hr 20 minute practice and 1 hr dry-land he has no time and weekends he has games. So I say there is NO WAY we are buying , insuring and putting gas in a car now DH says he will "compromise" and trade his 4wheeler for a car!
    So in principle I say NO the kid needs to pay for at least 1/2 the car and insurance, but not sure if I am going to win this battle in my house!

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009