What do you make with apples? No pies please...

my neighbor brought over a huge bag of just picked apples. I do not like apple pie so what else can I do with them? Please share you recipes with me. I have never worked with apples before.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 4:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• CARAMEL APPLE CAKE
    CAKE

* 3 cups flour
    * 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 lb apple, peeled, cored and chopped into about 1/3-inch cubes (can use more apples if desired)
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    * 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 3 large eggs
    * 3 teaspoons vanilla
    * 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

CARAMEL GLAZE

* 1/2 cup butter
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup half-and-half cream (I've use milk)
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We make fritters and apple butter spread. Of course the fritters are much like a "hot pocket" with pie dough - so you may not like that. Check the recipes for apple-butter. It's a wonderful breakfast spread.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You didn't say what kind. If they are not red or golden delicious I would make spiced apples. peel and core them cut them in large chunks. Place in a pan sprikle with cinnamon add about a cup of water per 8 medium size apples. and sugar or splenda to taste (1/2-1 cup per 8 apples) Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a full simmer stir freqently. Usually about 10-15 minutes. Simmer until apples are tender but not until they are mushy. the liquid will thicken. I serve this by itself with cream, over ice cream,, with pork chops, at holiday meals or on english muffins after refrigerated.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Fried Apples! Ok, well they aren't really fried. Of course, these have to be a "cooking" kind of apple, or it doesn't work out.

I don't have an actual recipe, I just make them. Always have.

Slice the apples. Put them in a pan. Sprinkle a little sugar one them. Add some cinnamon if you like. Throw a couple tablespoons of water on top, cover with a lid and cook till soft.

Oh I guess it sounds a lot like what GrnEyedGrandma posted.

I serve them as a side at breakfast or with porkchops, as dessert over icecream, put them on the kids oatmeal. It takes like the filling of an apple pie. I like them with some cream poured over them.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Set oven to 350°F. Set oven rack to second-lowest position. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan.

In a bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture into the Bundt pan and tilt pan to coat. In another bowl, place the chopped apples and 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture; toss to coat.

In another bowl combine 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla; beat with an electric mixture until combined and thick (about 4 minutes). Gradually beat in the remaining flour mixture until combined. Fold in the chopped apple mixture and pecans into the batter. Transfer to prepared bundt pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until the cake tests done. Transfer the cake to a rack then prepare the caramel glaze.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• To make the glaze: melt butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Whisk in 1 cup brown sugar then the half and half or cream. Continue whisking until the glaze is smooth and comes to a boil. Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remove from heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the hot glaze over the warm cake that is still in the pan. Let the cake sit for 15-20 minutes to absorb the glaze. Turn the cake onto a platter, then pour the remaining glaze over the cake. Let stand until cool (at least 1 hour) before slicing.
    michiganmom116

• Apple sauce, Caramel apples!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• There are a lot of recipes that included apples when stuffing meat (stuffed pork chops or chicken). Try Allrecipes.com. It has an endless amount of yummy recipes.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Apple Crisp

4 cups peeled and sliced apples
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup sucanat, or other sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/3 cup butter, melted

Place apples in shallow baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine dry ingredients, add melted butter, mixing until crumbly. Spoon over apples. Bakeat 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned and apples are done

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Apple Pudding (not TNT)
    4-6 cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 cup (60 ml) hot water

For the batter:
    1 egg
    1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
    2 Tbs (30 ml) vegetable oil
    1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour sifted with
    1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder and
    A pinch of salt
    Place the apple slices in a lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the sugar and spices and add the hot water. Beat the egg and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the oil. Fold in the flour mixture just enough to incorporate - there should be a few small lumps. Spread the batter on the apples and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350F (180C) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serves 4 to 6.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009