junk food and kids..

i heard some moms say we are psycho for not giving our toddlers hotdogs and what not.. that we are denying them for not allowing some junkfood... well ok i get we all had some growing up, BUT when they are toddlers is not the time to give them junk.. they are learning new foods then and why wouldn't you only want to give your child the best? good eating habits early lead to good eating habits as adults.. wouldn't you want to hold off on junk? at least till they have good eating habits down? a carrot lover vs a twinkie? we are a very over obese country as it is.. what is so wrong with delaying junk food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Nothing is wrong with it. What is right for someone else's family may not be right for yours. I personally am of the mindset that if I deny or make a big deal about one food over another now, it will just push him to want the junk that much more later. So I feed mine as well as I can, but I give him cookies sometimes and whatnot. I try not to make a big deal if he eats the cookies first, as long as in total he is getting what he needs over the course of the day. But he also loves spinach and asparagus, so I don't think I am in the wrong.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 5:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Hmmm, very good points :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Kikikiki, I feel the same way. As long as my kids are eating what they need too, a cookie or chips aren't going to hurt them. If you deny them these things, they will only want it more when they get older.
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• op here- a cookie and that yes.. but to me not under age 4 for these things
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I used to feel that way as well. There are some things that I do not give my son, and won't for a while-such as the super-sugary juice drinks, and sodas. When I was pregnant I vowed that my son wouldn't touch a french fry or watch tv until he was at least 2. Well, he has watched the occasional video and eaten fries (without salt). But more often than not he plays with his cozy coupe and eats fruit and saltines (also without salt). I applaud you for sticking to your guns though. If that is what is right for your family, more power to you. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You are doing what you think is right for your family as a loving, caring mother. There is not much else your kids can ask for!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 6:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Honestly i think that parents need to control what their kids are eating more nowdays. I will eat only verry few kinds of food because my mom raised me on fast food. Mostly french fries. So even to this day i dont like trying new foods. Im going to do everything in my power to get my son to eat more things then i do.Im not saying that i wont give him any kind of junk food or fast food but it wont be all the time like it was with me. DH and i rarley go out at all. Im am always makeing dinner. And i want my son to be in the habbit of having dinner at home and only going out to dinner fast food or whatever for only certian occasions such as birthdays graduation and other things like that. Also junk food should be a treat to have not something that you get all the time. There is no junk food in my house. And i only get soda when i go out to eat. But thats why i feel the way that i do. But every family has their own opinions.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Part of teaching kids to eat a healthy diet, involves teaching them about moderation. I can feed my child whatever I chose, it is no one's business but my own. Why do some many people care what others feed their children? Worry about your own kids and I will worry about mine. Mine has been getting "junk food" from toddler age and he is far from obese. He is 13, 5 feet tall and 100 lbs. He is only in the 25th% for his age. Part of a healthy diet also involves teaching kids how to exercise and not letting them be couch potatoes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009