How do I deal with toddler tantrums?

My 19 month old throws the most terrible tantrums. Sometimes she will throw her head back against things. How can I discourage this behavior? When I tell her to stop, she does it more.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 5:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 22 mos and still does it from a few months ago! Though they have gotten shorter, I ignore her. I tell her when she is ready to talk, I will listen but until then I won't deal with crying/whining. Then I leave the room and walk to the furthest point of the house. She gets up immediately and says " mama!" When she finds me she is always ready to talk. Spanking hasn't worked for my child, it furiates her more and she flips out more along with hitting. Now I'm trying to discourage hitting by ignoring as well which seems to be working. They are looking for attention when they do this stuff so if you deprive them of that it seems to work better. I try to explain it is ok to be upset but we need to find a better way to express it. We're still experimenting with this one however. GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My almost 2 year old used to throw herself on the floor, and roll around like there's no tomorrow. It's funny now to think of it. Be consistent in discipline, by time out, am not against spanking, if needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009