How do you feel about the environment of CafeMom?

I've only been a member for a couple of days, and I sort of wonder why I even bother staying, cause it's hard to even get a sensible answer to an honest question! (Guess I stay cause I am amused at all the stupidness floating around.) Why does CafeMom allow people to post anonymously when all it seems to do is cause problems? Everytime I ask or look at a question, there are tons of pointless, cruel, and/or downright stupid answers which usually come from "anonymous." And anonymous or not, there are always rude answers. I really don't get why so many people on here seem to enjoy hurting someone's feelings. I was hoping to find a friendly, warm environment to make friends, (which is how CafeMom is advertised) yet I mainly spend my time on here being torn between amusement and disgust at all the obnoxious posts. What are your thoughts on the issue?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I completely agree! I only come on to check out the drama when I'm bored at work. I have asked questions and gotten some good answers mixed in with the ignorant. I also have answered some questions that I had knowledge on/of.
    If you hear of any other sites like this that aren't as bad please let me know! :)
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have found a lot of good advice, a lot of good friends, and a lot of fun things in specific groups. So thats where i spend most of my time on CafeMom. There are supportive, kind and helpful women on here, i promise! lol!

I pick and choose the "answers" and "journals" i read and respond to because you are right, there are a LOT of catty, ignorant, rude, immature women on here. Which i find sad, but that's life i suppose.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 5:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yeah Jenree, I know! It's really disappointing that it's not a better community. It's so catty and silly sometimes, which is not really what a mom needs! Some support and people that don't act like babies themselves would be nice!
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• enough said! I wonder the same sometimes. You are hated for disagreeing and attacked for opinions. I get a lot of racist women that use every excuse to call me the "n" word, b/c something I said was taken out of context. Even after I apologized they still post ignorant things to my questions and comments. Its crazy, and judgmental women all over this site. But that is every where you go. So if you connect with just one person, don't let the rest ruin it for you, b/c at the end of the day they log off.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If you tend to stay in the groups and games and networking parts of the site you dont see this as much (depending on what groups your in) the journals section can be fairly safe but the Answers section always has heated debates.

I have met many wonderful people on here and have even connected with local moms for playdates. I have found the good things really outweigh the bad and when i have had enough of something i just stay away from that area of the site.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The environment here depends on where you hang out. If you focus on the Answers section then you're possibly not going to like it because some people like to take the good that is offered and use it for bad. But I'm telling you... I've been here for over 2 years and I LOVE it. It's all in what you want and where you go to get it. You might want to check into some groups where you can find people with similar interests as you. I'm sorry you're experience hasn't been "all that" but hang in there.... there are a LOT of wonderful women on this site. You just gotta find them!!!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It's a very hostile unfriendly environment. I honestly cannot believe the immaturity and cruelty of the women on here. I try to stick to the few groups I'm interested in. I find the rest of the environment really unpleasant and disappointing, to say the least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Hey. I totally love cafe mom!! I really enjoy the mothers and the advise, and i really like showdowns. I dont like the anonymous people, yes they're so mean!! I have noticed that two of the hottest topics on here are breast feeding and dicipline. But they're not mean enough to stop me from coming here. yay!! I love cafe mom and I think its a great. Cafemom is a great resource for mothers of any religion, or race or age or situation. This site is what lets ALL mothers know that they're not alone...EVER!!
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I've been on and off for the past 1 and a half. I really have enjoyed the groups I belong too. When some one gets catty, I just blow them off. They don't pay my bills and they don't sleep with me so I'll be d.... if I'll let their pettiness keep me from the enjoyment I get from this site.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 8:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I do enjoy being on here when I have the time. As for others being rude, etc., not everyone on here is like that. I don't get involved with things like that. I contact the ones who know how to use 'common sense'.
    justme_smiley49

Answer by justme_smiley49 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009