how can i get my toddler to potty train all the way

My daughter goes pee in the potty but she wont poop and i need advice of things i can try to get her to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For my son it was the reward system. I told him he could have a piece of chocolate if he pooped on the potty. Then it got upgraded to a toy. Then it got out of hand and we had to stop. I then told him that if he continued to poop in his pants then he had to clean himself up. He did not enjoy that. It was only about a week after the first of him cleaning himself that he started doing it on his own. He has never had an accident either, he really hates to be wet or dirty in the pants so that helped too. If nothing else, just be consistant-taking her in to poop, putting the poop from the diaper in the toilet to flush etc...Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Don't push her, ask her if she has to go and if she says no let it go. I know it gets frustrating ( My son wasn't fully potty trained and wouldn't poop in the potty up until right before his 4th birthday) but I realized eventually the harder I pushed the less he was willing to do once I eased up and just let it go he started going on his own without even being asked or reminded. Also reward her anytime she even shows an effort towards going, make a huge deal about it even if she doesn't actually poop but when she tries. I too made my son rinse his own underwear out, he hated it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have been trying to get my son to go #2 on the potty for awhile now. He will be 3 in November and will pee no problem, but refuses to poop. He tells me that it is too hard. I think he is just scared. I am trying not to push it, people keep telling me that he will go on his own when he is ready.
    umich0730

Answer by umich0730 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009