SAHM vs. Work out of the home

Which do you do and why? Do you enjoy it? What are the pro's and con's?

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• SAHM here, and work once a week or so at my church, It is good, because have kids with me and no daycare cost. There is nothing wrong with working moms either, whatever you feel is best.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 5:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was SAHM but was not happy, opened my own business with hours to fit in with my family.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 5:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I stayed at home for the first 7 months of my sons life...i loved being with him, but it got to be over whelming. I went stir crazy. I felt like i was NOTHING but a mom and house keeper. then i got a job, and it was like a smack in the face to put him in day care. I only have to leave him for 4 hours a day so its not to bad, he actually gets REALLY excited when we walk in, they give him lots of attention, i get my outlet, and make money to go places and do things as a family. The added income is definitely amazing, my sanity is a plus....and i feel like, a better mom now. I guess because im happy, i put forth the effort to make sure my son is happy! If a woman can handle being an at home mommy then more power to her, but i would never down a woman for working outside of her home, just be ready to work that second shift. I work harder now than i ever did before!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I work from my home. I am an interior designer and have about 5 regular clients right now. I feel like I truly have the best of both worlds. I am home with my kids and I can take it with me when we PCS (military). It took me 10 years to build my own business. Ups and downs (mostly downs in the last 7-8 months)... Taxes are a bitch. I don't make as much as I would working in Corporate America(with benefits, etc) right now. But 2 years ago, I was argulably bringing in more.  I hate having to 'let people go'. But that is the sign of the times... The freedom is worth it. The example I am setting for my kids to work hard and make a goal happen is more than worth it.  Them going with me to certain business appts as my 'assistants'?  Priceless. :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Im a sahm.
    I stay home because, for us, its the better option financially and for our family overall.

I enjoy it but it does get routine(but so would having a full time job outside the home). There are days you get stir crazy and miss adult conversation(at least until DH is home LOL)but its worth it in the end.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was a SAHM for 8 years, now I am a special education associate teacher--best of both worlds! I can get my children on the bus in the morning, and I'm home just before they get home in the afternoon--kids are in school all day, hubby is at work, I'm at work, and no one misses me, and I'm home when they're home, still able to shuttle them to and from after school activities, do homework together, and everything else I did as a SAHM--including being home for holidays, vacations and weekends! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would be drawing and painting for fun anyway, so I figured why not make a little money while I'm at it.

I keep my work load pretty small for now while my munchkin is still little, but I could see myself expanding as she gets older.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I worked in Hospital Administration before I had my ds and continued working until he was 4 years old. Then I decided to become a SAHM. That lasted for about 3 years. Then I got into Real Estate for a couple of years. My ds though, started complaining that I wasnt home for him anymore around early June of last year, so since then I have decided that for now, I need to be at home with him. (He just turned 10 this month).
    Now my life revolves around taking him to school, picking him up, helping him with his schoolwork, and taking care of things around the house for our family. Ive always made sure to be where I can take him to and from school, I have this strange dislike for school buses for some reason, dont ask me why, I never rode one as a kid either unless it was for a field trip or such..
    Both lifestyles have their advantages and disadvantages and whichever someone chooses is totally up to them and their family.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009