breast milk supply low?

My son is 7 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding since birth. I also had a pretty good milk supply. As of lately it seems he may not be getting enough milk. How can I tell? He wets his diapers 7 or more times a day and poopie around 4. He will start to eat good then slow down and fuss at the nipple as if he is not getting anything. What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found this article and thought it might be helpful to you.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-whether-your-babys-getting-enough-breast-milk_617.bc
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He is prompting you to produce more milk buy doing this...as long as he is getting enough wet diapers, he is getting enough...just nurse, nurse, nurse. Supply and demand. If you supplement, he will slow down on how much he nurses, causing you to NOT produce more.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Also, www.Kellymom.com is a good site for new moms
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He is in a growth spurt. They hit one right around that age. As a pp said he is promptimg you to make more. Nurse him often and on demand. This will cause you to make more milk and it usually only lasts a few days and your body will then make more milk at a time so he will get more milk but nurse less often. Do not supplement it will only cause you to produce less. He will be fussy and nurse A LOT for a couple days, but then it will be back to normal.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• When you say don't supplement are you talking about using formula? I havn't done that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If you are EBF and changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, then he's getting enough. Nothing else matters. Not how he acts, not what you pump, not how your breasts feel, ONLY diaper count.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yeah, supplementing is with formula. He's just having a growth spurt. I did not check out that babycenter article, but I used to get emails from them & I think they are more worried about a lawsuit than any pediatrician. They are either not very pro breastfeeding or just very ill informed in most cases. Kellymom is the best online source of information. As a veteran breastfeeder I can tell you that nursing is a complex act of mothering. Some days it can be wonderful and other days it is very frustrating. If you just let yourself listen to your instincts & follow your childs cues, you will have a very successful & rewarding breastfeeding relationship.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You're producing just fine. If he slows down and fusses he's full and/or needs burping.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2009