My son is ready to move out of his infant seat. Anyone have any opinions on which one to buy?

Convertible or front facing? I am looking at Evenflo Triumph Advance, Safety 1st All-in-One, Graco Nautilus, and The First Years True Fit. Anyone have any experience with one or more of these car seats? I am having a hard time choosing one. I kind of want him to stay rear facing for a while longer, but want some thing that reclines in the FF position for when he sleeps. Apparently most of the convertible car seats are not suppose to be reclined in the ff position because of safety reasons. Do any of you still use this feature in the ff position? He will be a year on Sunday!!

snugglybuggly

Asked by snugglybuggly at 6:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's not safe for him to recline in the forward facing position, why would you want him to do it?

Go with convertible. You'll get more bang for your buck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would go with convertible. Personally I think the Britax Marathon is the best. But they are super-expensive. Out of the 3 convertible seats we have (one per car, and we also bought one for the grandparents since they live close by), only my car has the Britax since it is the one my son is in the most. We bought Gracos for the other 2 cars. I would go with the Graco Nautilus personally.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 6:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes, when you recline the carseat while FF will make the carseat not installed correctly which is not a safe thing to do. You can drive to Fire Dept. or Police office to have them teaching you how to and install the carseat for you. They will also tell you why reclined the carseat while FF is dangerous.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 6:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• are you ff at one year or erf? i have a cosco scenera from my 2 yr old its rf up to 35lbs but i erf. it really depends if you paln or erf or not
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If i had to choose one from the one's you listed i'd choose this one
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3543111

i have this one its a evenflo titan elite, its just as good as the ones you want but less pricier. Its $99 at babies-r-us http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012739
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I got the graco nautilus and it is awsome.....you can use it as a high back booster and a no back booster later on. And they can be harnessed untill they reach 65 lbs.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'd suggest staying RF for a while longer. How much does he weigh? I LOVE our True Fit. It's a great seat, RF to 35, and FF to 65. There ARE plenty of other options though. Lets hear your budget, and what you are looking for, then I can narrow it down more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Heres my lists...I REALLY recommend RFing to the MAXIMUMS of a seat, its 5 times safer...Britax seats have a natural recline and the Truefit Premiere can recline FFing...heck the cosco scenera, cheapest convertible on the market will recline FFing, but if your child needs to recline then they need to be RFing.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1465317/MY_carseat_recommendations_with_PICS
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466932/Budget_car_seats_convertible_and_harnessed_booster
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• why are you forward facing your child at one year? why succumb to some random minimum when you could keep him SAFER for EVER LONGER? its called extended rear facing and i sincerely hope you look into it. tabicat1023 the poster above me has lots of info on it and im sure if you google it you will know what im talking about.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 10:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• personally I love my Graco Nautalis but that is forward facing only. . .If you want to keep rear facing then one of the others might be better choice.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009