Well that's a stupid rule. Don't you think?

It is against the rules of the Senate to call the president a liar or to read a letter from a constituent that also calls the president a liar. Okay. But if you cannot appeal to the senate in regards to a lack of truth - what the point of having a right to protest and petition your government?

Sticks and stones? Childish playground rules in the senate. In life if you think I've lied about something, you have a right to state that protest, in court you have the same right - I never realized that the president is the ONLY American in this country that you "can't" call him like you see him (in front of the senate) - I guess they're gonna have to get technical - "the president is making another mis-speak" - how stupid.

Isn't that a rather stupid and juvenile rule?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 6:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You have the right to protest. If not, than you are not as free as you thought.

With last few presidents I saw people who pointed out the truth and it was off with their heads.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sounds dumb, but half the stuff the government does sounds dumb, so it only figures. i guess this particular rule adds a whole new meaning to "politcal" correctness eh
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I hope he tells them to suck it! I don't like Wilson he's got issues, but he has already submitted two apologies! They are just trying to neuter him in front of congress. This administration is all about making people kiss their arses and I hope he stands his ground and does NOT apologize on the floor.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I just hope the dems remember it when they lose power. The forgot it during the Bush yrs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You're right Gammie - The President SHOULD be held to a higher standard of Patriotism and honesty - and if he is less than that - anyone should have the right to say so and have him defend his stand or view. And that goes for ANY president, past, present or future. I'm not okay with taking ANY politician at their word - and that goes for being told I cannot protest what I think is a lie (no matter if it's a local rep. mayor, governor, senator or the president)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm gonna get me a t-shirt that says "I'm with Wilson" and visit the White House. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• What happened to the first amendment?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Honestly, I think it's more of an issue with decorum than censorship. We should hold all of our elected officials to a higher standard, and that includes respect and manners. Interrupting the President, yelling like you're at a sports event - it's just unnecessary when there are tactful and respectful ways to show disagreement.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Did you realize there was another representative that had a sign? At least BO just got called a liar. In 1856, Rep. Preston Brooks beat Senator Charlse Sumner unconscience with a cane over a speech.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• In 1856, Rep. Preston Brooks beat Senator Charlse Sumner unconscience with a cane over a speech.
    ________
    I am sorry but I laughed at this! It sounds funny, not saying it the result of what happened but the cane thing HA sounds like a cartoon.
    I think Dems need to eat humble pie!.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=congress+boos+bush&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009