Mirena

Anyone have the Mirena inserted?If so how long has it been and how has it worked for you?Like or dislike?Please give your reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Health

• I've had one for almost two years now.

It was kind of painful going in, but it was so near after I had given birth that it didn't seem like much at the time.

I like that I don't have to worry about taking a pill every day or putting on some barrier method in the heat of the moment.

I like that it's made my periods lighter and less painful.

I like that it's extremely effective.

I like that the hormones are localized, and don't make me nutters like the general hormones of the pill did.

I don't like that when I do have period blood is kind of random, and it rarely matches the timing of the other pms symptoms that are still regular, so it's a little tricky to be prepared.

I don't like that I can't find the string; hubby has to find it for me.

All in all, I'd get it again in a heartbeat.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I've had it for about 15 months. I like it for the most part, I have heard a lot of women complain about not being able to lose weight on it, and I have the same problem. Besides that it is nice to not have a period every month (I haven't had a period for like five months) and when I do get them they are very light. I haven't had any issues with it at all. Every once in a while I do worry a bit that I'm pregnant, because I get a lot of pregnancy "symptoms" right around the time I am supposed to have my period. But I get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I just got it about a week ago, my little one is 9 weeks old. I cramped for about 2 days after insertion but everything is good so far. I haven't had a period yet but I think it might have to do with breastfeeding.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'll have had the Mirena for 4 years next month and I've never had any problems!
    It was inserted 6 months after birth. I was still breastfeeding and so I did not have my period. Shortly after, I gradually breastfed less (couldn't keep up with DS's big appetite) and my period never came back. I was on the pill for years before I became pregnant and I love the freedom of the IUD. I did gain some weight but it's the hormones. I gained weight while on the pill too. I actually lost 20 pounds by just modifying my diet so the hormones don't always win. I am unsure about what an earlier poster said about finding the string. When I go to my Gyn for my annual he checks for it. I don't recall him telling me I need to find it periodically.
    In summary...It's been great and I have no complaints!
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 11:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Thank you all great replies.Mydoctor gave me birth control options after my baby's birth and I thought Mirena sound good.I am still considering just don't like the idea of cyst.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009