Cracked Frozen Eggs

Our fridge is only 3 years old but the fridge part doesn't work too well so we put a lot of our foods in the door of the freezer. The eggs got frozen and cracked. Do I have to throw them out? I was thinking they'd still be okay to hard boil.

larissacst

Asked by larissacst at 7:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Shell eggs should not be frozen. If an egg accidentally freezes and the shell cracked during freezing, discard the egg. Keep an uncracked egg frozen until needed, then thaw in the refrigerator. It can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited. That's because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 7:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You shouldn't freeze raw eggs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• LOL- My fridge sucks too! My eggs were in the door last week and some of them froze. I "thawed" some still in the shell to use in some water. Yes the texture is a bit different but they won't hurt you if you eat them. You should keep them in the fridge part because they really will last a bit even if they are not that cold. They have natural packaging.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can freeze egg whites. If I have extra from a recipe I will put each one into an ice cube tray. I pop them out when they are frozen and keep them in a ziplock.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009