failure to thrive

My son is 12 months and just got diagnosed with failure to thrive, they sent him for alot of blood work... my question is.... has anyone went through this and what is it exactly, like the risked and how to fix it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Treatment of failure to thrive is usually carried out with a team approach, with your Pediatrician, a Pediatric nutritionist, and appropriate specialist referrals as indicated. There are many Pediatric specialists that can evaluate a child with failure to thrive, depending on your Pediatrician's suspicion of the cause. Often, especially if they have gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting or chronic diarrhea, a Pediatric Gastroenterologist will evaluate your child.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 7:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Failure to thrive is a term commonly used to describe younger children who aren't gaining weight normally. Children with failure to thrive usually have a weight that is below the 3rd or 5th percentile for their age and a declining growth velocity (meaning they are not gaining weight as expected) and/or a shift downward in their growth percentiles, crossing two or more percentiles on their growth charts.
    JoyandLove

• I hope the child starts gaining..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I honestly can't believe you didn't as these questions of your doctor when he gave you the diagnosis.

I hope he starts growing and gaining soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I for one know that when I am in the drs office even though I ask a lot of questions, when I try to process it later its like it was a different language. It's so bad I take a notebook with me. And sometimes when you receive news like that about your child you're mind starts running 800 miles per hour. Some of us need time to process the information we're given before our tiny minds can form the questions we want to ask. We should all be as cool, calm & collective as Anon 8:22.

I hope that everything is O.K. I would just hit google & do as much research as possible so you can be well informed the next time you see the dr.  It will make it easier to take in what they are telling you if you already know about the condition.  My thoughts are with you & your baby.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009