What kind of car seat should we get?

My son is two, and weighs 34 pounds. His current seat is a convertable seat that's good till 40 pounds. We thought we had awhile, but he's growing so fast now, we're thinking we may be out of this seat before we orininally thought.

I'm not necessarily looking for brand suggestions, as we are on a tight budget, but I'm wondering what TYPE of seat to get. Some high back boosters I see are okay for 30+ pounds, but others for 40+. There was even one w/o a 5 point harness that said 35+ on it. That just seems way too soon to me.

I want to get a high back booster that has a 5 point harness on it, but one that can convert to just a booster to use till he's at the 4'9"/60lb rule. Any suggestions?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since your son is only two, he still needs to be harnessed for a couple more years. The Graco Nautilus is probably your best bet. It will keep him in a 5 point harness up to 65 pounds. We each have one in our car and we really like this seat.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 8:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'd go for the Nautilus too. It's a little spendy at $180 or so but it's 5 point to 65 lbs and then high back booster to 100lbs so it's worth it. The longer you can keep your kids in a 5 point the better. If you really can't swing that much cash then Target has a Cosco one, I don't recall the model name but it's two shades of blue fabric which should help you find it. It's only 5 point up till 40lbs then belt positioning booster to 100lbs but that's better than a lot of seats out there and it's only $40 or thereabouts. We have the Nautilus in my car because that's the one that DS is in 95% of the time and the Cosco one in DHs car for occasional trips. The Cosco is also good for travel because it's very light unlike the Nautilus which is something like 80lbs, not fun to cart around the airport!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Oh, diapers.com had the Nautilus for $150 when I looked a few weeks ago plus a promotional code for I think 10% off. You have to order diapers to use the code but their prices are quite good I think and I'm guessing you still need them whereas my son is well out of them so we couldn't use it. Shipping was free too, I think it's free on orders over $100.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son is out of diapers now. :) Thanks for the info! I think I'll check out the Costco one. I was hoping to keep it under $100, since we paid a pretty penny for his last one. We thought he'd be in it till at least three and a half! I want to keep him in a 5 point as long as I can, so that looks like a good fit.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We have one from Safety 1st that ran about $60 I think? I has a harness and converts to a belt positioning booster.

There's also the Apex65 which will harness higher, and they only run about $150 (ish). We have two of these and they've worked well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009