When can I space out the feedings?

My son is 7 weeks old and eats every 3hrs...when do I space out his feedings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 hours is pretty spaced in my opinion. My 6 month old still eats basically every hour...unless she is really distracted then she will go 2 or 3.
    Nurse on demand :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Never, really. He needs to eat at least that often. Most babies actually nurse every hour or so at his age. Eventually he will start spacing them out himself.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• when he desides too, its his schedual.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Every three hours is good. My oldest did every hour for 14 hours a day, for three months. My youngest did every three hours around the clock for 2.5 months. Then about 3 months they both started spacing things out, we all started sleeping 6-8 hours at night. Things will get better. Try to let go of the control, relax and go with the flow. I know it is easier said then done, but if you can it will help. Enjoy him, he will be a toddler long before you wnat it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You dont, you feed on demand, he is doing really good, for the first month or so I was feeding every hour than hour and a half then 2 hours, etc... At this age his tummy is very small and breast milk digests really easy for him. Dont be surprised if he hits a time when he feeds more often. And if you are using formula, same rules really, although babies on formula can go longer in between feeding... 3 hours is good, If you notice he is eating more often before the 3 hours you can try to up his formula by an ounce or two but dont force him to take all of it. Listen to your baby, he pretty much knows best LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 3 hours is the norm it seems (at least around the people I know and what my daughter did). The first 6 weeks, My daughter was eating every 2.5-3 hours. Then she was sleeping through the night and didnt need a couple of bottles. At 3 months to 6 months, she was getting 5 bottles a day of 5oz. Now at 6 months (she is on an odd schedule but it works for her and its what I could get her to do). She gets one 6oz bottle at 8am and cereal. At 11, she gets 1 container of fruit, at 1, she gets a 6oz bottle, at 4 she gets a 6 oz bottle, at 5 she gets one container of veggies and then at 8 she gets a 6 oz bottle. You will notice that when your son starts eating baby food, he may ease up on the space in between bottles. But then again, some never do. Just do what your baby wants and you will get a good schedule going.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• YOU do not. HE will do it when HE is ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• So I know that I'm the one that asked the question but I know enough about babies to know that they need to be on schedule set by the parent. If he's starving I'm not going to ignore his needs but if he's just fussy, I think a passie or some Momma time will do until his next feeding. And I think a bottle fed baby would be getting WAY too much food if I fed him every hour. Thats just rediculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009