whats up with the 10 month pregnancy ???? 40 weeks???

isnt 9 months 36 weeks and what week in your pregnancy did you have your baby???

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• "they" lie when they say 9 months, lol. My son was delivered by c section at 38 weeks for pre-eclampsia.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• technically you are pregnant for 10 months, i was past my due date with my first, she is 5 now and i have a really bad memory so i dont remember how many weeks.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If you go by splitting months by the lunar calendar -- 4 weeks is a month -- women give birth in their 10th month. 42 weeks is part of that normal range, and a few women go beyond (a few women are just long gestaters).

If you realize that on our calendar, months have more than 4 weeks worth of days in them (except for february which is shortest)...so when you calculate that way it would be 9 months.

This is why people generally go by weeks rather than months.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• oh this drives me so crazy! lol.

people keep saying it's 10 months but it is NINE!

there are not 4 weeks in a month. 28 days is a month, so there are usually 4 weeks plus 2 or 3 days in a month. so it averages to about 4.3 weeks in a month. 4.3 weeks times 9 months = 38.7 BUT the first 2 weeks of "pregnancy" are before you even conceive, so if you have your baby at 40 weeks, you have actually be pregnant for less than 9 months. i had my baby at 41 weeks, so i was pregnant for just over 9 months.

am i the crazy one or what? :) lol. why does everyone always say there are 4 weeks in a month?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• thanks amileegirl, maybe i'm not crazy after all. (PP)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It's considered 10 months because they count part of the month before you were pregnant. . . they can't tell the exact date of conception so they go by the first day of your last period. . . Now, when we notice we are preggo we have already lived month 1 and have 9 more to go. . . probably how we get 9months. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Ugh, it's actually 8 1/2 months. I get irritated when I hear 10 months.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Um actually it is 10 months. They count it from the first day of your last period, and if you count 40 weeks from then, its still 10 months. (Not always exactly 10 months, but right around there.)
    emmas_mama07

Answer by emmas_mama07 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Its 10 LUNAR months not regular months. The only calender month that has 4 weeks is February!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009