Anyone else get stuck at 4 cm dilated?

Friday I was 2 cm at the doc office.
Saturday I was 4 cm at the hospital.

I've been having terrible contractions since saturday night, they are getting worse but I'm still 4 cm!!!

I've tried everything to help myself make progress (except sex) I'm just in too much pain. I might have to try though tomorrow.

My doctor said they can't help me out at all because I'm only 37 weeks and 2 days, she said they have to wait til at least 39 weeks. But they gave me ambien to help me sleep through some of it. I'm miserable :/

Anyone else have this happen? How long did it take you to finally have the baby?

My doctor is saying she doesn't think it will be any longer than a few days...Idk if I believe her though. I feel like I'm going to be like this forever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i did. i ended up having a c-section. but i was at 41 weeks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Each time! I also had a c-section both times
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You aren't stuck.
    This is NORMAL.
    Some women can walk around dilated for weeks, and other women don't dilate at all or don't finish dilating until well into labor. Dilation can take weeks, days, hours, or even shorter than that. Every woman is different.

There is nothing wrong.

Don't exhaust yourself by tring to make yourself progress, that just leads to more stress and more pain. You can visit "spinningbabies.com" to help you either find natural birth positions to take the pressure off, or to encourage the baby to move into a more comfortable/favorable position if you are having back labor due to posterior presentation, or odd pain because of a less common position. You can also try looking up relaxation techniques.

Oh, and don't forget to drink LOTS of water. I also suggest looking up "prodromal" labor.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm in pain from CONTRACTIONS. not from baby's position. nothing i can do for that. forgive me but i still feel STUCK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Baby's position CAN affect pain. And different positions can help. Look at the websites I suggested and you might find something to help you out. What have you got to lose?

Try this -- it has suggestions for easing the pain of contractions: http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cnhome.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I got stuck at 3cm after 3 days of labor. But I was 40 weeks. I ended up having a csection cause the baby never engaged and I wasnt making progress.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 9:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It's normal. I was 4 cm and 80% effaced when I went to the hospital on a monday night. I stayed that way until Friday am when I got to the hospital I was 100% effaced and 7 cm, 18 min later my baby was born with one push. My son was born on his due date, 2 hrs and 50 min of labor.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 9:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is so weird to me, I was a day short of being a week overdue, and I went to the hospital for some light cramping and spotting, they said I was 2cm, and that they'd keep me an hour to see if I dialated any more. They said at 3, they'd keep me. They wound up keeping me, induced labor, and I had her with no mention of a c-section what so ever?
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 9:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009