Am I shallow?

Ever since I started trying to lose weight by working out an going vegetarian. It seems I notice Large people more than I used to. Don't get me wrong I havent lost all my weight yet i still have a good 20 lbs to go. But recently i was at a family reunion and all i could think was how large everybody was the only skinny people were kids. I feel bad about it. But it makes me wonder how we let ourselves get so big.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yeah i notice fat people too. i was skinny before i got pregnant, but now im 25 pounds more then i used to weigh. but when someones really overweight, it just seems like they dont care about their body and health and the way the look, and its unattractive. thats just the way it is.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Well I'd say you both are shallow, especially PURPULbutterfly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I guess...the fast food is so good and convienent that we don't realize what we are doing to ourselves as time goes by. Before you know it we're fat...I could shed 30lbs myself :(
    Anonymous

• I would never let myself get fat. That is so digusting and I don't care how tall you are or how well you "carry yourself" fat is nasty and unnatractive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't really notice fat or thin people unless it's extreme. I do have relatives of mine that look sickly thin and I also have relative that are one cheeseburger away from a heart attack. When I see extremely over weight people it does make me sad. Makes me wonder when did that person stop caring about themselves? What has happened to them that made them use food as a comfort so much that it's poisoning their bodies. Let's face it, America is getting itself to death.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Simply noticing someone's weight doesn't make you shallow, how you treat and/or think about that person is what determines whether or not you are shallow.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think to lump all "fat" people into the same category is a disservice.  Some people it's true, they let themselves go.  However, I am overweight.  Part of it is behavior which I am trying to change.  Part of it, though, is medically issues that prevent me from losing the weight. 

I would also say it's our lifestyles, too.  Work all the time, take the kids to sports, run run run.  It's easy to eat the junk.  Even when you try to eat "well", you have to check and double check for the added junk.  It's a myriad of factors, and to write all people off as being fat and lazy is wrong.

AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Anon :11 - I'm sure that you are perfect in every way and no flaws whatsover. The rest of us in the real world wish you well, and when you learn to stop judging people for what they look like, we'll be waiting....
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 9:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't know if I'd say you are shallow, it seems like maybe you're just more aware of things like that ever since you've started changing yourself.

To call overweight people fat and disgusting is unfair and ridiculous. An overly skinny person can be just as disgusting looking -- Just because someone is "fat" doesn't mean they are a terrible, lazy person. Everyone is different. And everyone has a different reason for the size they are. I'd rather be fat than be a bitch any day.
    MamaChanny

Answer by MamaChanny at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• "when someones really overweight, it just seems like they dont care about their body and health and the way the look, and its unattractive. thats just the way it is." PURPULbutterfly

WTH?!?

There are people in this world who have chronic health issues that keep them from losing weight, no matter how hard they try. Look them up if you don't believe me!!! As for an extra 25 pounds... Why don't you try having 50 or more that you can't do anything about before you complain? Or have people make comments about "fat" people not caring how they look, or being lazy, or being called a cow, or not controlling what they eat. You didn't say part of this and I know that, but it's all been said to me by people who don't care they hurt me and don't know the facts. They make assumptions... And we all know what that does to those involved.
    veryloved83

Answer by veryloved83 at 1:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2009