Deadbeat godparents?

Ever since my 1 year old daughter's godfather got with his new girlfriend (when I was about 4 mos pregnant) he's become really distant. He lets her control him and won't come over to the house to visit his goddaughter because I won't allow her in my house (I have my reasons.. its not just cuz I don't like her). Did anyone else name a godparent thinking they would be a great person for the job and be VERY disappointed?

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son has godparents like that. They don't even call to say Happy Birthday on his birthday, and what's worse is that they are also DH's brother and sister in law. So it's not like they are distant relatives, or just friends. They are his aunt and uncle! We do live VERY far apart, but they could email, or facebook, or whatever, a simple "Happy Birthday Godchild". In fact, now that they have their own children, and we have seen how they raise them, we have decided to name someone else to be our children's guardian in case something happens to us. If only we could see how people were going to turn out in the future, when we chose them for such important roles in our children's lives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Well what has she done?? I mean if it is not really bad maybe you can just let her come with him so your child does not miss out . I really don't know all the facts on her but maybe you can go into a little bit more detail.on what she did.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• what is a duty of a godparent anyway?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• she drank herself to an abortion at 18 weeks. And its not so much that she isn't allowed.. I'll tolerate her for a period of time.. its more that she controls him and makes him do what SHE wants and that's NEVER comin over here. It's like he won't do anything without her approval and she only wants to do things with her friends, its like his friends don't exist.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• anon 9:05- a godparent is supposed to be a part of the child's life and take over for the parents in the case of an accident or something happening to the parents.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Kristal2146....That is not the duty of a Godparent. What you're referring to is a legal guardian, which has to go through a legal channel to happen. A Godparent's duty is to make sure the child is brought up in the ways of the church.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• whatever.. that's not my question! Im trying to find out if I"m the only one having this problem or if its common... how many people have named godparents (for WHATEVER they believe its for.. I ws taught that its to ensure that the child has a loving parent like figure that is neutral to the parents and capable of caring for the child in the event that something should happen to the parents.. ) and had them completely back out of what they said they would do!? I"m not even christian.. so my definition has NOTHING to do with the church.. it was intended to have someone who was a constant positive part of my child's life other than her parents.. and he's turned out to be a lap dog to this chick who has ruined one of the best friendship/relationships that I hoped my daughter would have!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My godmother is the same way... If I was lucky she showed up once a year on my birthday...
    My daughters godmother is my sister and she is doing a great job!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sorry.. I'm getting a little emotional. Forgive me, I'm pregnant and just a little upset that my daughter's godfather can go out with her father and have a grand old time getting drunk and doing whatever it is they do when they go out.. but he cant come spend a single day with my daughter in her entire almost 14 months of life.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yes kids god parents are very very very disappointing, but it is my fault because my family hates me I guess.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009