My daughter is four months old and the doctor said I can start rice cereal now. How should I introduce it?

I've been told to start with one cereal feeding before bedtime. She takes 4 oz. of formula every four hours. The problem is...my daughter falls asleep around 7:30 and I wake her up at 10:00pm to give her the last bottle. If I don't wake her up at 10:00, she wakes up in the middle of the night. Otherwise, she sleeps until 6am. She's pretty much asleep during this feeding, though. So, cereal at his time is out of the question. When should I give her the cereal to start off? How much? And does the cereal ultimately take the place of the bottle when I do? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a new mom and the doctor didn't give me much direction! :)

your_smoopy

Asked by your_smoopy at 9:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our daugher needed cereal at 3mos.. she began taking a bottle every 2 hours so we knew she needed more. We sit her in her bumbo seat to eat. The rice cereal box gives directions. I believe it was to mix 1 tablespoon cereal w/3 or 4 tablespoons water or breastmilk/formula. The first few times you want it soupy. As baby gets used to it, you can thicken it up. They have to learn how to eat it first, ya know? Its new to them! We are almost 5mos now and we eat solids! Zoey loves applesauce and sweet peas! Its fun to feed her even when she blows food at me or sneezes sometimes. Priceless moments...
    MrsBujak

Answer by MrsBujak at 3:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• yes start with one and only just a little bit, she will need to get used to it. so at first it wont take place of the bottle. i also used to give them a bite of the cereal then a drink of the bottle and that helped my son alot with eating the cereals. you could do it whenever you want maybe in the afternoon. every baby is different. oh, and the looks on their faces are priceless when they have their first taste of cereal and baby food,lol.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• No - AAP recommendations are 6-8 mo. At 4 mo, their digestive system is designed for breastmilk only, or formula if you don't BF. I'd recommend 8 mo, and skip the cereal (there's really no nutritious value) and go straight to smashed fresh fruit and steamed/sauteed veggies. I would just puree whatever we ate with no spices and a little EBM.

Also it's a total myth that solids help them sleep. Sorry! For more info, go to www.kellymom.com and search on solids. GL!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I started at 3.5 mos and I gave it to my dd at lunchtime. We started with 2-3 baby spoonfulls and that was it. As time went by we slowly added more but it never changed my dd's sleeping habits. And she loved it! At 6 mos we did a after breakfast feeding and after lunch feeding. She loved it and it was more about stimulation than really feeding. I let her play in it mostly, she was stil drinking her bottles and such so I knew she didn't need the food but she loved the stimulation! I didn't make her eat every bit and you can tell when they are full because they just want to play with it instead of eat it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh, and, feed her cereal when shes alert and awake! Not right before bed - it won't help her sleep through the night. Cereal does not take the place of formula/breastmilk. Baby still needs this staple!
    MrsBujak

Answer by MrsBujak at 3:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009