Called for or not?

New York homes raided over suspected al Qaeda link

* No imminent danger, congressmen say

* Probes focused on one man who met with people in Queens

* Family of four Bosnians arrested - city council aide

* Apartment shared by 5 Afghan men is searched - witness

* Militant ideology sympathetic to al Qaeda detected - NYT (Adds quotes from city council candidate)

New York City police and the FBI raided homes in the borough of Queens early on Monday as part of an investigation that has tracked a man suspected of sympathizing with al Qaeda, officials said.

U.S. Congress briefed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation said there was no imminent danger.

Called for or not? Does this sound justifiable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If they had intel, why would they WAIT?

They waited once before and that was in August 2001, remember what happened?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN14517680
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• They'll wait for imminent danger if they really want to put away this or that particular person.

Raids like this are for getting info on bigger-future plans and bigger groups of people.

...and yeah, being a sympathizer of a terrorist group probably merits a raid, it's not a benign political ideology, or a peaceful approach to Islam. It's a group with the purpose of being violent and hurting people- you're bad news if you're sympathizing with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Maybe some of you have forgotten what happened here on 9-11-01 but cops like my DH haven't.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

Thank goodness they haven't forgotten! I can't believe someone would complain about this!!! Thank you miriamz for the work your hubby does!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You are very welcome :). We are very proud of him and all the cops in the NYPD. They do an amazing job.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am going to piss a lot of people off i think but, i just have to say that i don't think this was justified. They raided there home because of quote "There is very good reason to believe that there is a connection to Al Qaeda or to Al Qaeda supports" There was no immanent threat here. there was no suspected plan of any kind of attack. I think that bringing them in for question and keeping them under surveillance is fine but raiding there home went a little far. And NO i have NOT forgotten about what happened on 9/11 but we don't deserve to have our constitutional rights taken away because of it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• NYPD has excellent intelligence gathering and if the felt it was necessary I believe them. In some ways their intelligence is better then the feds.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I can't believe someone would complain about this!!!

OP here I was not complaining just making sure everyone knows this. I was just seeing if this was classified as just cause to American citizens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009