Do you ever catch yourself justifying things to your toddler?

I do and it's frustrating. When I catch it I just stop because he doesn't care anyway. =)

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 9:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never stop. It will help when he gets older. He will look to you for an explanation for many things in life. If you do it as a habit then it helps make parenting easier. I did it and even though it seems silly now he will benefit in the long run and it makes you a great mom!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes I do & my 2 yr old looks at me like I am crazy, lol.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yes! he's barely 17 m/o so he doesnt understand reasoning yet, but he does seem to understand some words...or thats what i'm thinking to myself at least lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i think it's good to tell them the reasoning behind things. he's almost 2 and i think he gets some of it. lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sometimes I justify myself and sometimes I don't. my kids are 18 and 19 so sometimes it does no good to give a reason why.
    candle-mom

Answer by candle-mom at 10:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Uh hmmmmmmmmm lol, good evening daughter.....my answer to this is 'yes'. They may not totally understand now but it will help them as they grow older. Your brother used to ask so many questions but we and others tried to answer them and explain. It's a good way to learn things.
    justme_smiley49

Answer by justme_smiley49 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• every single time even tho she's only 15 months. my mom said its a good habit to get into b/c you will have to do it constantly when they get older. right now i just do it for my own sanity...it makes me feel better haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I've been doing it since she was newborn.... but the older she gets the more she listens and understands now! It really helps and if I just tell her no she doesn't listen but if I explain why she can't she quits immediatley and finds something else!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009