How much weight do you keep after the baby? What can I do to get rid of it?

I am6 and 1/2 months and I started at 155 now I am 173 the biggest I have ever been and I am freaking out about it.

heidihill09

Asked by heidihill09 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't freak out - your body will gain whatever weight it needs to regardless of what you do. I worked out often, was in great health, ate great with my first - and gained 40 lbs. I was on bedrest with my second, ate brownies and bagels and whatever I could stomach, and gained 40 lbs.

I lost it all very quickly. First, I breastfed exclusively. It really gets your metabolism going, not to mention is fantastic for your health and your baby's. Second, as soon as I was up and about, I'd strap my youngest one into the Bjorn and my oldest in the stroller, pop in my iPod and powerwalk. Seriously, with a 15 lb baby strapped to your chest, every day, you will lose some weight! I did plateau a few times, so I'd just change up my routine. I belonged to the Y - swam for a bit, then did cardio and weights, then started in on some of the classes. Lost it all PLUS in 5mo.

Now my kids are older (3 & 5) and I do pilates & yoga.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I gained 30 lb during my pregnancy, and within 3 weeks after she was born I was thinner than I'd ever been! I didnt do anything special. I exclusively breastfed, which burns like 500 calories a day. But other than that....I guess I got lucky.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was 187 when I got pregnant and delivered at 222. I was not huge to begin with my family holds their weight well. I have 5 pounds to go still and my LO is almost 15mos. I want to loose it but don't have the desire to exercise. It sounds stupid. Just let your body do what it needs to do b/c it was designed flawlessly. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i was 160 and delivered at 196 still didnt lose much that was 14 months ago
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 10:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• you will probably lose about 15 immediately. then eat healthy, lots of fruits and veggies, and get some exercise everyday. easier said than done, i know. oh the easiest is to breastfeed, but i breastfed and didn't lose because i didn't exercise. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• breastfeeding will help you lose A LOT of weight. i lost all my weight by about 2 or 3 months PP.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2009