Why is everyone so hard on parents who feed their kids junk?

Maybe I am being sensitive about this, but here is my situation. I was 6 mo pregnant when I started having severe issues with depression. The doctor assured me it would get better after DS was born, and prescribed an antidepressant because I was suicidal. After DS was born I had the baby blues and my doc said it was normal and weaned me off the antidepressants. Finally, about a year later, I went back on them to help stabilize me again (and another er visit for downing a bottle of muscle relaxants). After loosing two jobs and just NOW (DS is 3.5) I am starting to get stable w/out meds. Some mornings its all I can do to get out of bed and throw a pop-tart at DS before school. Sometimes I don't go to the store for 2-3 weeks so we eat whatever is in the house. Just because it isn't the choice you make doesn't mean we aren't doing the best we can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'd say it's different for everyone. I too went through MAJOR depressive episodes( saint john's wort is the only thing that worked for me) and I focused all my issues on keeping dd well fed. Everything was chaos but when you opened up her cupboard it was all organic and organized, lol. Do what you can. It sounds like nutrition concerns you, otherwise others' harsh comments wouldn't bother you so much, am I right? small changes make a big difference. I know it is unsolicited advice but good nutrition can also help with mental health issues a TON. Stay strong and do your best:D
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 10:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Instead of throwing a pop tart at your child, try throwing a banana instead. How about some instant oatmeal? All you need to do is boil some water.

Really though, when Mom's talk about Mom's feeding their kids junk food, I don't think YOU are what they are talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The N.D.D. Book: How Nutrition Deficit Disorder Affects Your Child's Learning, Behavior, and Health, and What You Can Do About It--Without Drugs
    ----I say read this book :-) Its a very simple book... It opened my eyes! And we are now trying to slowly make changes!
    Im sorry for all your going through :( It must be tough...
    You said you only go to the store every 2wks so u feed them what you have.. There ya go! :) Dont bring the bad foods inside your home & it wont be there as a choice! --- Use your freezer to freeze healthy foods!
    I dont know what kind of poptarts u have but I about killed over when I read the package (strawberry frosted is (i mean was!) my fav ! EACH PACKAGE IS 400 CALORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (****OMG****)... And the ingredience is very horrible & to think they market this stuff to kids! Seriously that should be illegal!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• and just to ramble on a bit more if you eat better you will feel better... if your kids eat better they will act better, learn better... If you think your kid is smart now imagine what he could do with great fuel! Your body can only run as good as what is put inside it! So if you put garbage in your mouth.. all your gonna get is garbage out (and im not talking about your hind end! lol)...
    And just so u know this is coming from someone who is trying to change from fastfood! We live within 5 miles of 7/8 Fastfood chains.. so if i dont go to the store we hit the drive through! if im tired/ in a hurry/ ect/ect... drive throughs!! :-(
    This is coming from a mom who wants to change (and is slowly)... Im not your crunchy - natural - living on oats kinda momma (yea Im jealous of them all! But i have not learned what they know! Im lost! But Ill get there!)...
    Wishing u the best!!!!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You need to find a therapist.

Here is why I am against parents feeding children junk food. By the end of next year, one half of American children will be both overweight and undernourished; malnutrition affects learning and health. A child born in the US in this century has a one in three chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes. The health of Americans, especially children, is a national security issue; when the intelligence of citizens drops, we become less productive, our gross national product drops, we lose wealth.

Stop buying junk foods. Instead of a poptart, give your child whole grain toast with peanut butter and honey or banana or raisins.

But really, get help for your depression; it unhealthy for a child to be raised in this environment.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Most public schools offer breakfast for students. You might want to look into having your son eat at school if you find yourself unable to provide him with a healthy breakfast.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Instead of a pop tart give him something nutritious like a banana, a drinkable yogurt, or a muffin. You could even buy an organic version of pop tarts (no corn syrup and other junk) or granola bars which are way healthier but as easy as junky pop tarts.

I doubt that feeding him junk like that is doing you any good because mom guilt is not going to help you feel better about yourself. Sometimes when we feel we can't take care of ourselves it helps to take care of our families at least. Making other people happy can help us be happy too.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was diagnosed the first time with depression in college-severe suicidal depression,there was a trigger.I was on and off meds for years and a couple very serious suicide attempts.First you will probably need to be on meds forever-not everyone does but some do.It is now about the chemicals in your brain.After I had my first child I realized that not being a good mother didn't make me feel better,but much worse.I'm much older than you and continue to have depressive episodes.My psychiatrist and I are growing old together.Here's the thing you got to do more ,you won't feel worse.There are weeks I dress up rotisserie chickens every which way-but no junk.I go to the grocery store in grubbies ,run errands,drive my children to sports,lessons etc.I may not always feel better but I don't feel worse.Get up and do what you are supposed to take care of your son.You may feel better but you definitely won't feel worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Get up and get going! You make yourself feel worse by being lazy and just laying there! Everyone has this big story about boo-hoo this, and boo-hoo that. It's called life. Get off the meds before it effects your health! Your kids need you!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009