Coming to a deal on health care bill?

WASHINGTON – Senate health care negotiators said Monday they've narrowed their differences on a host of difficult issues with just a day or so left to seal an elusive bipartisan deal that could change the course of the contentious debate.

After months of closed-door negotiations, Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus said, "We're getting very close." But it remained unclear if the Montana Democrat could strike a bargain that would mark a turning point for President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

The negotiators pared the cost of their 10-year coverage plan to under $880 billion, and also reported progress on several issues, including health insurance for the poor, restrictions on federal funding for abortions, a verification system to prevent illegal immigrants from getting benefits, and ways to encourage alternatives to malpractice lawsuits.

Is it still possible?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I would love to see a a thoughtful, understandable bill that isn't filled with government oversight committees and a bunch of other crap. Let's see what comes from all of this.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_overhaul
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I hope there is a revised plan posted soon for review. It is good to know there is positive progress.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am hoping they will also do something to open the sale across state lines. I was reading not to long ago that 1 company controls 90% of the policies in Alabama. There is something really wrong with that!

I am eager to read the bill. I hope they will have sense enough to put some flesh on the bones of it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Even if there were a revised bill, do you think any republicans will vote for it? Won't it seem they are going against all the tea partiers and town hallers?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am hoping they will also do something to open the sale across state lines. I was reading not to long ago that 1 company controls 90% of the policies in Alabama. There is something really wrong with that! I am eager to read the bill. I hope they will have sense enough to put some flesh on the bones of it!

I believe that is already in it...Remember hearing about that. Its a problem in a lot of states with monoplies like that...CABLE companies should be next! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• "Even if there were a revised bill, do you think any republicans will vote for it? Won't it seem they are going against all the tea partiers and town hallers?"

sweet - you sound like you are trolling for an argument. "tea partiers" and "town hallers" are NOT all republicans and they are NOT all about only healthcare.  Furthermore, Republicans are not against a bill for change, if they work on a complete, well-thought plan (ahem, REFORM) in the best interest of EVERYONE, then why not pass the bill?

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sweet - you sound like you are trolling for an argument. "tea partiers" and "town hallers" are NOT all republicans and they are NOT all about only healthcare. Furthermore, Republicans are not against a bill for change, if they work on a complete, well-thought plan (ahem, REFORM) in the best interest of EVERYONE, then why not pass the bill?

AHEM yourself, I wasn't trolling. While not all the tea party goers (I did NOT call the TEA BAGGERS or anything deragatory) are republicans, the republican has taken that platform and cited the town halls and the tea parties. as for them wanting reform, I have a hard time believing that because for 6 years they could have passed whatever they wanted and NOTHING happened, not even the touted TORT REFORM

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think it's fair to say that if Reform = Tort Reform and no expansion of government influence in health care we would all support it.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I hate the term tea baggers.
    I'll support If they clear up a. The vagueness issues, and it's fiscally responsible, etc. I think it's a mistake to put into place any law. That takes power and isn't entirely clear about the scope and use of it. I still think they should complete immigration reform before attempting healthcare reform, and do the healthcare reform in small bites, so they can see what works and what doesn't.

And I want tort reform. Sorry had to put it in there.

Oh and sweet, I can't open your link on this thing, sorry.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009