idiot doctor??

soooooo here's the story..... i'm about 6 1/2 months preg and i started going to this high risk OB 1 month into the pregnancy...like AS SOON as my medicaid went through. anyway, i thought things were going fine until last month (my 5th visit) he walks in, INTRODUCES HIMSELF, sits down and is like..."so this is your first visit with us, correct?" sorry but thats a bit upsetting! this man is supposed to be delivering my baby and he doesn't remember meeting me a few times before? if it was just once...ok...but you'd think on the 5th visit he could atleast look at the chart and LIE to my husband and I and say "hi mr&mrs.." are my hormones just making me all irritated about this or would you be just as bothered as i am? (and i see him first thing in the morning...if he doesnt remember me this time i am SO going to snap)

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 10:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds like he is probably overworked. sadly that is often the case in obstetrics. :( i would be very very upset too. i would suggest a midwife but if you truly are high risk and ob is probably the best for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would be pissed!! During my whole delivery ( aprox 39 hrs) the midwife kept calling me by the wrong name so I know how you feel. Dr.s should understand how much trust we put into them during pregnancy. I vote he's an idiot.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 10:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• oh come on...seriously? do you know how many women they see a day? my doctor (actually, it was a midwife) accidently started talking to me about things that i had no idea about, and then she realized she was looking at the chart from the woman before me. after about 3 visits, she could recognize me, but as for remembering my name and stuff, that's what the chart is for. actually, to be honest, i brought my son to all my appts, and i wouldn't be surprised if she remembered me just by recognizing my son. she loved him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That's why homebirth midwives are the best. They limit their clientele so that they get to know each woman personally. It's why they have the best outcomes.

I'd switch.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A good doctor reviews your file before he walks into your room and knows your name, a few things about you and at least pretends to know who the hell you are. So for those of you that blow it off to being overworked, that's crap. The doctor just doesn't really give a shit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree with the midwife suggestion.

My midwife sat with me on the bed in the room I'd deliver in. The prenatal appointment lasted 1-2 hours each time. She'd always make tea and have homemade treats/snacks. She would tell me all about what we were checking for and why (tests). She listen to my fears and concerns and then educate me thoroughly so I would be confident & aware.

By the time I went into labor, it was like my very close friend/sister was supporting me. We knew each other very well. :-)

The average OB prenatal is 7 minutes and impersonal (obviously). It makes sense that they might not remember too much, I guess. They do take on more patients than midwives do, they can't afford to spend too much time with each.

I've learned about surgeons (OBs) tending to keep a greater emotional distance w/their patients because otherwise it's too hard to intervene/operate.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think all docs have an idiot factor. . . My doc wanted me to have my blood type done again just so they didn't have to look back in my chart. . . I mean, come on. . . I had my other child less then 2 years ago and you delivered him. . . not rocket science. . . any office professional could transcribe it. . .

Maybe tomorrow you should introduce yourself before the doc has a chance. . . "Hi I'm .... your patient for the last 6 months, how have you been. . . " or is that being sarcastic?
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My midwife, not even a homebirth midwife but one who works in a hospital, talks to me when we run into each other at Wal Mart! Like, not only does she know me, but she recognizes my husband and our son as well. It's amazing.
    I'd be ticked at an OB who couldn't remember how often he'd seen me as well. He should at least pause at the door, check your name and how many times you've been in, before he walks into the room! I love chrissmom's opening line too. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2009