Is it wrong as a Christian to read Twilight?

I am just curious because a friend of mine has been asking me to read them and I've been praying about it.....I just feel that God is telling me not to. Are there any verses in the Bible that state its a sin to read about vampires? I'm having a hard time getting through to her as to why I don't want to read the books. (shes not a Christian and claims I'm overreacting) Which is very irritating because I fully respect her beliefs.
So i am at a loss as to what to say to her anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't see anything wrong with it, the Author of the book is Mormon
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• No it's not a sin to read Twilight. I'm a Christian and many members of my church have read the books and seen the movie. I myself haven't. But i see nothing wrong with reading the books.
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 10:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm not religious, but it's just a book:) I have a hard time believing that you reading a book about vampires is going to come up on judgement day, but that's just my opinion. They are great books, but if you don't feel comfortable reading them then you shouldn't.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i see nothing wrong with it, but that's MY opinion. I believe as long as you're not totally believing in it then it's ok.

BUT, if you've been praying about it and you believe God doesn't want you to read it, then don't. if you feel like it could affect you and God's relationship, DON'T read them. why even take that chance?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I wont read it, God told me not to. Garbage in garbage out... We have to watch what we open our hearts to. Non Christians will just say its just a book as well as christians who do not understand the power of the enemy and how he gains a foothold .
    Its just wise to protect your heart and spirit. So I encourage you to listen to God first and formost. If He said No! then obey that.
    Our heart is precious to God and He wants a pure heart before Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The only part I found a little offensive to my Christian senses was the last book gets a little spicy...of course I can't complain too much, the author did get them married first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• To me, it just seems like Christians want to question almost every book out theree EXCEPT the bible!

I honostly don't see what's wrong with books! Most of them that you complain about are just fiction. They could never really happen! So what's the issue?!
    Anonymous

• i agree w/ the PPs that i dont see what would be wrong with it so long as its taken as fiction. but if you feel that you shouldnt that is reason enough not to.

i dunno if this verse helps, but its the only one that came to mind. Romans 14:5-6 & 22-23

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

really that whole chapter is good. hope this helped.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I read it and feel fine having read it. The books teach good values, which is totally rare in today's society. I feel much better reading Twilight than the majority of the "classics." I feel like the author did an amazing job keeping the books clean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• OH, Dear Gods!

It's a freaking work of FICTION!

Why WOULD it be wrong?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009