wtf do people do this

i'm a frist time mommy and they have all these horror storys!gosh i'm already scared as it is i 'm scared to death about the cord going around his neck and having a still born so my damn SIL comes over and is telling me all these storys!!
has any other frist time mommys ever went threw this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that is horrible! but that happened to me a little bit. everyone told me that the pain would be so awful that i would have to get an epidural, but i never even felt tempted to get an epidural. don't get me wrong, it was painful. i suggest you get a book like "birthing from within" or "ina may's guide" to build your confidence. you are a woman and you are made to birth babies! ;) and hopefully you can find a midwife or a doctor you can trust so that you won't have to worry about your baby either. congrats momma!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• When you are a firs time mom, every horror story, every little thing that can go wrong crosses your mind. So, now that you have thought of everything, and your SIL has so lovingly told you everythign you should freak over, now you can focus on being happy. Most of the time, everything goes right. Things will turn out just fine and you will have a wonderful, beautiful baby. All the what ifs, cross every new moms mind, trust me, whether you are a new mom or 2nd or 3rd or 10th time mom. You'll do fine.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i was a little worried, but ppl always think their experiences are the worst when things go kind of wrong. idk why she would tell you all those things......its no fun hearing "horror" stories. but the truth is, still births dont happen as much. if you havent had problems thus far, then its even less of a chance. and the cord around the neck thing, isnt always as stressful as it may have been emphasized. even if that happens, most the time when babies head comes out the dr will take the cord off. they'll just watch babies heart during you pushing. both my brothers had the cord around them and nothing happened. so dont stress, it wont help lol and next time she starts to share stories, you should say you have something else to do!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I know. WHY do people do that?!? They just do.

You can do something though. You can get smart and figure out how to be better prepared and event prevent lots of that stuff. You can read-read-read. Go to birth classes, watch (natural, cause their realistic) birth videos, get educated.
    A midwife and doula are great real-life resources too.

You can write down all your concerns in a list. Then go through it over time, learning about each of these and how to deal with them (IF you should ever need to).
    You might be happy to discover that nuchal cords (wrapped around babies' necks) are at least 1 in 3 / 1 in 4 births~ so fairly common!

Get confident and enjoy birth. It is a once-in-a-lifetime event that you will remember forever. Enjoy it!! ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i went through that a little too, i just told them to shut up and i watch enough discovery health channel and tlc and i already know what can go wrong. when i was 8wks my doc gave me hydrocodone and my mom kept saying my baby would have birth defects! oooh! she really pissed me off! i told her that stressing me out about it is alot worse for baby than that! she couldnt understand that if the doc gives it then it's safe to take.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• All the time. It's annoying.

The cord around the neck stories are stupid. Twenty five percent of babies are born with cord wrapping around the neck and body. And babies DO NOT breathe through their necks so can't be strangled the way people who tell those stories assume. And you know, it isn't necessarily a bad thing since a wrapped cord can't prolapse and cause a problem.

A true cord accident is exceedingly rare and its never the wrapping that's the problem, it is something else entirely unrelated.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Oh yea. Like this dumb manager at my work came up to me like a month and a half before i was due and was like we need to get your info in case your like me and need a blood transplant from passing out and stuff when you go into labor! But then I had my baby and developed a handful of horror stories myself. Gues its all part of bringing children into the world.
    WonderMom7.19

Answer by WonderMom7.19 at 1:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm a 1st time mommy at 39 weeks and yes I got all kinds of storys. And oh the advice you will receive. Don't take it to heart. Everyone will do it. I have one friend that kept telling me all of these things that were "going to happen to me". Well it didn't b/c everyone is different. Don't let them scare you. Just smile and think about something else while they are talking. Also good luck and congradulations <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 2:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i don't recommend watching the ones on TLC and Discovery Health. they focus on the high risk and / or medicated births. i recommend watching natural births on youtube or something. gl! child birth is great and it almost always ends well, especially if you prepare!!!!!!!!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009