What can I use for sore/cracked nipples from breastfeeding? Any home remedies?

Raiderette08

Asked by Raiderette08 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used lanolin. . . lots and lots of it. . . also rubbing a little breastmilk and letting it air dry can help. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Lanolin or bag balm. You can buy bag balm at CVS or Walgreens. It was originally used for cows utters. Seriously. lol. But it works. It's in a square green can. Just rub a lil on the area bothering you. Also it works wonders on diaper rash areas. Been using it as diaper rash ointment for almost 5 years.
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 10:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I also agree with chrissmom734 ...Lanolin and also breast milk and air dry.
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 10:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You need to figure out why your nipples are sore and rectify the problem. They should not be sore or cracking. Most likely culprit is an improper latch. See a La Leche League leader or an IBCLC for help.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• At first nursing was so hard for us and mine hurt so bad. There are these things called Soothies. They are a gel pad you can put in the fridge and they feel good when you put them on after breastfeeding. You can get them at MotherHood Maternity. Also, putting breast milk on your nipples helps heal them faster.

It got so bad that I had to use a nipple shield. That helped ALOT! But be careful, my baby got so used to it he wouldn't nurse without it. I finally was able to stop using it at 5 months. He's 7 1/2 months now, but for me it was well worth it.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• YES!!! Soothies are awesome!!! Def agree with crystal1480. There is a website kellymom.com with a BUNCH of information and support!!!

When mine were really bad my Lactaion consultant told me to soak them in salty water after they nurse(and by salty i mean REALLy salty) and rinse them off. If you can let them air dry. Then every time before you nurse again soak them in just water. This helped me because mine were bleeding really badly and it helps keep the scabs on so you heal quicker. Just make sure you get all the salt off, otherwise baby might not like you!!! lol It gets better!!!!!!!!
    blb006

Answer by blb006 at 12:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009