Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are babysitting kids (unlicensed) for pay at your home do you have to be registered with Dept. Family and Children Service?

Or any other department in your town. I am in Georgia. If not can you get into trouble for doing so?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • check with your city/state rules. usually there are a certain number thats limited unlicensed. so technically its babysitting instead of a daycare. but each state is different, so get a hold of the licensing in your area to find out.

    Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

  • You have to check for your state. I'm in NY and you can watch up to 3 children besides your own in your own house without ever getting any paperwork or anything. That does NOT however, cover you if something happens....just protects you from "illelgal" claims. You can still be sued if something bad happens which Is what keeps me from doing it :(

    Answer by boomamma at 10:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

  • It's different in each state. I think. Here in TN you can watch up to 4 kids other than your own without a license. And as the other person stated, it only means you are not illegally running a daycare. But you have nothing to help you if something happens to one of the kids while in your care. That is why i only watch my friends kids.

    Answer by Ali-Rippy at 12:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Home Businesses

Next question overall (Relationships)
bad ideal?