Toddler has been fighting sleep and it's getting really stressful. Have you found something that works for this?

He's at that stage where even though he is tired, he will fight with all he has to stay up. I'm so sick of going through this. He cries the whole time I try to put him to sleep, and he cries when I let him stay up because he's tired and ill. So nothing works. He stays up way too late, and it seems like it takes 2 hours just to put him to bed. Actually, it does a lot. What can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Set a routine. What ever works for you, but set a routine, and make it stone. Don't deviate from it, and do it always at the same time. He'll know it's time to start getting ready for bed, and the transition will be easier. Make the house quiet, so there's not anything really interesting going on, and he'll be more willing to go down.
    The routine for us was a bath, a book and cup of milk, snuggles while singing 1 song, then the lights went out. I always left the door open and a nightlight on, but put a gate across the door so they couldn't come out, and closed the door after they fell asleep.
    Good luck!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• what I have noticed with my son is that I put him to bed later than usual I get a fight. When they are overly tierd they start fighting it so try putting your son down earlier then you usually would. Make sure you are using a relaxing routine like bath, books, singing, then bed time. Once you put him down don't go back in to fight it because that becomes a power struggle. Let him stay up and cry or talk himself to sleep. Once he knows that you're not coming back to talk with him and give him his way he will stop this behavior. Show him that you are the parent and he will listen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009