What's the point of a middle name?

Do you think it's really important to have a nice middle name? Why, why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes! It makes your whole name complete. lol
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 10:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• or "full name" complete, sorry.
    kerri-

• i don't think it's necessary to have one. but it's good for a person to have a second name to go by if they don't like their first name ;)
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It's better than having a not nice middle name! But good question, I'm going to look to see if I can find the origin of middle names. :)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A nice middle name balances out a nice first name. My daughter's full name is Victoria Mae, and I call her by her first AND middle name 75% of the time. I just love the sound of it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Uh, I think it should flow...I remember my mom jokingly telling me that she gave me a middle name so that she could use it to yell at me when I've been really bad lol.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• if i didnt have a middle name i'd be screwed. i have a very common first & last name. they're so common that i have to sign my whole name on EVERYTHING. having a middle name keeps things from getting too confusing. and when you're naming your kid you never know if that name is going to be popular or not (my mom had only heard my name once when she named me Amanda).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• the point of a middle name is to further confuse parents of more than one child, and increase the list of names they have to go through before getting to the correct one
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The point of a middle name is so a kid will know when he's "in trouble" vs "REALLY in trouble"

lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yea, at my first job there were 5 other girls named Amanda, so i had to go by my middle name while i worked there b/c mandy and manda were already taken.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009