Sooo Scared....

I went to my doctor yesterday because I started feeling sharp pains in my lower back and abdomen. He did an untrasound and couldnt find the baby's heartbeat... He said that my baby might have died but he wont be able to be 100% sure for another couple weeks.......
Its breaking my heart thinking that I might have done something to cause this to happen...

BabyMama241

Asked by BabyMama241 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• On a transvaginal ultrasound, it's POSSIBLE to see a heartbeat as early as six weeks. BUT that depends entirely on how baby is positioned in the uterus and how your uterus is positioned within your pelvis. Just because it can't be found at eight weeks means nothing, especially if you're not having any symptoms of a miscarriage - spotting or bleeding, abdominal cramps, general yucky feeling.
    I've had at least two early miscarriages. There may have been a third one but I never got a positive pregnancy test so it's unconfirmed. These early home tests are wonderful for knowing and being able to get early prenatal care, getting into good dietary habits, and all of that. But they can also stress a woman out badly because so many pregnancies end in miscarriages before a woman would normally show physical signs of being pregnant (about 60% of pregnancies end this way). There's nothing you can do or could have done.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If indeed something has happened, there is NOTHING that you did to cause it. Sometimes it is just not a good egg sperm combo, or something went awry in development that has nothing at all to do with you. It happens.

It may not be much comfort for you, but sometimes things happen and a first trimester miscariage is not uncommon...it is just that now that women are able to know when they are pregnant so early more women notice.

You didn't do anything wrong. I've had a first trimester miscarriage before, so I understand. You may take comfort in the fact that a subsequent pregnancy will be unaffected by this one.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm not familiar with how far along you are... Is it possible that it may just be too early to hear it? I am so sorry you are going through this! I don't think there's anything you could have done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I just looked at your page, you are eight weeks?

Sometimes they can't see the heart that early. I it is a hit or miss thing a lot of the time. They should have told you that that happens that early.

You know, this is why I wish they wouldn't push these early and multiple ultrasounds. It causes a lot of unecessary worry and stress for no reason.

It is very possible that nothing is wrong at all.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I thought the baby's heartbeat couldn't be found until at least 12 weeks?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That is very early to be hearing the heartbeat!

I am so sorry that your doctor scared you so badly, hopefully this was a mistake.
    Awful, and tragic.
    I truly hope that this was an error.

HUGS!!!!!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• They couldn't find my baby's heartbeat until 12 weeks. They tried at 8, but nothing. The pains could be any number of "growing pains" Ligaments streaching, hormone fluctuations, random pregnancy things.
    It will be hard to wait, but you will find out in a month. If anything bad did happen, It is certainly NOT your fault. Continue to take care of yourself and try to relax.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• finding the baby's heartbeat that early depends on so many things, mainly how the baby is laying in your uterus. it is highly possible that baby is just in a spot where the heart isn't visible. until you go in again for another look, there is nothing that you can do. I really hope everything turns out ok for you! good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• if he just couldn't hear it cause of the stage your at. i would suggest you get another dr.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• tehy found my babys heart beat at 9 weeks with a regular u/s but they should be able to find one vaginally at 7-8 weeks like the pp it depend on ur uterus and babys postion
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2009