How did you stop your toddler from biting other children?

My son is 2 1/2 years old, small for his age, and has a very limited vocabulary. A younger, but larger toddler tackled him in a tunnel, and before I could pull them apart, my son bit the child on the arm. This was his first offense and I want to nip this in the bud NOW, so please share what worked for you or someone you know who had this problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sad you guys would physically hurt your kids. and suppernanny would put them in time out for their age and set them down and say you are here because you bit someone. Leave and if they get up you set them back down without saying anything and restart the timer keep doing this till they finish their time and when you go to get them say you were here for biting. Then give them a hug and a kiss. It may take a few times but it does work. My sister does it with her kids. My daughter is only one so I haven't really had to do it. But come on hurting your kids is wrong!! We're adults and should act like it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• smack in mouth when it happens just a little pop not hard
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• bite him back!! and tell him did that feel good?? I bet hell never do it again!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My one year old is biting my almost 3 year old... It's happened three times in the last two days. She's leaving marks too. I don't really pop her mouth or bite her back like the previous posters suggested but it's getting to the point where I'll try almost anything. My 3 yo is being really patient but it's only a matter of time before that wears off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Has anyone actually had success with a light smack/pop to the side of the mouth or biting their child to show them how it feels? I've heard these suggestions before, but no one has ever admitted trying it or having it really work.

I've only heard that putting biters with other biters was successful, but sounds like a health hazard, imo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I bite my dd back when she started biting at 13 mos. She's 22 mos now and hasn't done it since! She bite me so hard it drew blood and my entire tricep was bruised! I left a red mark and she has never done it since!!!! Once she went to put her teeth on me and I was like "you better not!" and she smiled, then started kissing me instead. I found biting back to work, my friends have too (the ones who did bite back) the ones who didn't bite back their kids are still biters and we don't hang around them anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Hmmmm ... what would SuperNanny do? I doubt she's smack or bite a child, or suggest that to the parents. Her other techniques are quite effective. I wonder what her suggestion might be? Does she have a website with FAQs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• im not super nanny...who cares,

i told mine to stop and smacked her hand she listend
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• So he was defending his-self?
    This was the first time he has bit anyone ?
    Really, it depends on his personailty.
    It may never happen again.
    You know your child best, with mine he just bit me when mad.
    I pick him up and wore his bottom out after trying other methods.
    It worked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If he was defending himself against a bully, then I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. That may have been his only method of defense if the bully was bigger than him ( you said he was small for his age)If it happens again,however, if he just starts biting, then bite him back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009