Halloween arguments

My husband is Christian and doesn't really like halloween, ( I love halloween) last year he didn't want the kids going trick or treating, I took them anyway because they have always gone and I'm not going to take it away from them. The latest argument is over costumes, my girls are 9 & 11 and he still wants them to dress up like they did when they were 5, (princess costumes). Last year my daughter wanted to go as a witch and my husband had a fit. Should I let him have his way just to save an argument or should I just do what I want and letthem choose to be whatever they want? After last year's argument I told him he was banned from coming with us to pick out costumes.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would have a discussion with him so you can iron it out. Try to understand his feelings & try to explain yours without being defensive. Explain to him how important you feel it is for your girls to experience this holiday & to embrace the fantasy. Try to anticipate his arguments & know what you might say about them to ease his conscious. Is Halloween a Pagan holiday? No it is a secular holiday, unless you celebrate it with religion included. Does it have Pagan roots, of course, but most modern holidays have some (often many) Pagan elements. All the "death" stuff is evil? Not at all, facing our fears, the greatest being death, is healthy. Laughing at it & enjoying the creepiness of the holiday is not in any way counter to Christianity. Is dressing up as a witch condoning witchcraft? Not if it is simply embracing the fantasy of literary witches flying on brooms (etc.). The not wanting them to grow up is another issue.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think you already know what to do with this situation. :) Have fun with your DDs and good luck with your DH!
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I believe that a relationship takes too. Sounds like you are already getting your way by disrespecting his feelings and taking the children out anyways. ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• takes two** sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• COMPROMISE! Its the key to marriage and you knew his religious beliefs when you married him....RIGHT?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• before you decide anything about halloween costumes, i think you should consider what is important..agreeing/coming together as a united front with your husband (the children's father, i assume) and strengthening your relationship, thereby leading by example to your girls how a marriage works...or throwing it all in for the sake of candy.
    i'm not saying side with him..i'm saying you both need to discuss this and come to a mutual understanding..eh, a compromise, maybe? are costumes really worth you and your husband fighting over? its one day! find a compromise, stand united, and don't eat too much chocolate. lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• well what are you going to do when she decides to dress up like a hooker for halloween? I myself do not let my kids dress up as anything gory or evil and they are 13 and 11. they can choose as long as they keep it decent. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• compromise on the costumes and instead of trick-or-treating, most churches have a trunk-or-treat, and its safer for the kids anyways. or try the mall, too
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Compromise & take them to a local church that has a harvest carnival. They can play games and a lot more fun than just trick or treating and they'll get tons of candy.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• OP here - I make them get decent costumes, I just don't understand the big deal about being a witch or a devil, his religious beliefs were never an issue until a couple of years ago and it seems like every year he finds something new to gripe about. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband but I feel like he is just being silly over this one holiday.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2009