What do I need in my diaper bag when I bring my baby home from the hospital?

Im a first time mom so dont pick on me for not knowing. What do I need to have in the babys bag to take him home from the hospital?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 11:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Only clothes. You can clean out the basket that your baby is rolled around in while in the hospital (diapers, etc.). Also, the car ride will be so fast that you won't even think about anything except "Holy $h@&, I just had my baby! And they're letting me bring her home!!"
    The little one will probably sleep the ride home, anyway.
    Congratulations- Goodluck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Bring the baby what you want to wear home, carseat, You really don't need a full blown diaper bag just for a ride home. Unless it's a long ride home. The hospital usually gives a diaper bag, diapers, and formula and lets you take the wipes that they didn't finish. If you are planning on breastfeeding you do need to inform the staff before and after the birth that you want to breast feed. Ask if there is some one at the hospital who can and WILL help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't even take a diaper bag. The hospital should provide you with whatever you need for the baby. You might want to bring a going home outfit, but it isn't necessary. Most babies are too small for it anyway.
    It is getting close, good luck momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• well my first time i brought everything i could think of then realized that all i really needed was clothes to go home in pads. i also brought a breast pump and extra baby clothes because i had a c section and had to stay an extra 3 days oh and dont forget a hair brush. my hospital supplied all the diapers wipes and need be formula
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i agree.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yea the hospital provides diapers and wipes so maybe throw just a few of your own diapers in there incase you use them up. and a few extra clothes :).
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Every time I've been they gave me at least 1 pack of unopened diapers with the open pack they had. I've heard of some women actually taking a few extra diapers out of the back and putting them in their case before baby went back to the nursry so they could get even more. I didn't do it cause I thought that was pretty lame. Especially since I always got at least one fresh pack of diapers!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i took a fully loaded diaper bag. the only thing i used out of it was the hats (hospital ran out) and her going home outfit. the hospital actually gave us a diaper bag to fill w the diapers and formula that they provided so we could take it all home. i would worry more about your bag.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You need almost nothing for the baby, a blanket, outfit, and a carseat.
    Mostly you will want stuff for yourself to make yourself feel decent again. This could be your lotion (not too much fragrance, though), body wash, make-up, comfy clothes, shampoo/condtioner, toothbrush, deoderant (sp?)... I know the first shower I had in the hospital was AMAZING, and I even did my make-up for the ride home. It made me feel like a person again.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 1:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I didn't need much, only the going home outfit, and you will want something very tiny, preemie size, even if they are larger babies when they are born, they are more compact, size 0-3 mos is usually too big for the first week or so....they will give you diapers and wipes, and if it's a boy and you have him circumsized, they will give you gauze and vasiline to help heal the penis.... Try and bring comfy clothes for yourself though, hospital garb gets really uncomfortable fast, don't forget the granny undies(dark colors are best) you will have lots of bleeding afterwards. Good Luck and Congratulations!
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 12:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009