When you have a miscarriage, do you always have to go to the DR and get a D&C?

When i had my miscarriage, i called my dr and she didnt care it seemed like. She said "if you fill up a pad in less than an hr, go to the ER." She never said anything about NOT using tampons. So when i took that tampon out that first hour, TONS of chunks of blood and the babies came out. I read a lot of people go to the dr when they miscarry and get a D&C to make sure that everything comes out??? I was 8-10 weeks along.

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Health

• Uh I know it depends on how far along you are whether or not you need one; I would say 8-10 wks is far enough to need one. Just watch yourself and if you get worried go to ER; they can do it there.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well, when i miscarried i went to a doctor and he didn't give ma D&C but i was told NOT to use tampons.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• oh. and i was like 8 weeks or more. ...

AND i'm sorry for your loss. i know it was hard on me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• YIKES! I've only had one miscarriage and my doctor is a very old man, so he knows his stuff, lol. People were telling me i didn't need to go to the doctor, but i called and asked him, and he had me come right in and said that you ALWAYS go to the doctor or ER when you have a miscarriage to make sure it is all out and that you don't get any infections.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 12:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You should see a Dr, but you don't always need a D&C. I had a m/c at 6w and passed everything naturally. I had a m/c at 12w and passed most of it naturally, but some was retained and caused me to hemmorage so I did need a D&C that time. Plus if you are rh- you may need a shot of Rhogam to guard against an rh sensitivity in your next pregnancy.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I thought I was12 weeks when I miscarried but was told the fetus stopped growing at about 9 weeks. Because my body was not ready to pass the fetus my doctor gave me the option to either go home and wait until I passed the baby or hav a d & c. We choose to do the d & c I couldn't stand the thought of just waiting. It is my understanding that if you naturally pass the baby the doctor follows up with an ultrasound to make sure that everything has passed. Sorry you had to go through that experience. I had a happy ending.. At my 6 week check up after the d & c I was already pregnant with my almost 9 year old!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• you need to go to make sure it all came out as the tampon prevented the natural happening of things. doesnt mean you need a dand c just go get checked to be sure. sorry for the loss. :o(
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I've had 2 miscarriages. One pretty recently. I didnt see the dr. till after it was all over with & I wasnt bleeding anymore. With my last one I was further along though & had to go back every week for a blood test to see that my HCG level was dropping back. It did. If it did not then that might indicate that there was something "left over" in there. But it went back to zero then I saw the dr. He checked me out & said everything appeared fine. You dont necessarily have to go to the dr or ER when you are having the miscarriage. Only if the bleeding get very bad. But after wards, yeah good to get checked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I am so sorry for your lost first off. Second, you don't always need a DNC. I never had one and I have had 2 miscarriages. But I was only like 4-5 weeks along. I would say not to worry about it and just relax.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have had servile miscarriages and I have never had a d/c I wanted one and they told me no. I was walking around for over 2 weeks with my baby inside of me knowing they had passed away. it sucked. I had to go into labor with the water braking, the contractions and then the pushing. I hated it. But they said the body would do it its self. It just took so long. Then also While I was contacting I went to the Dr's. office and the nurse was there for me. I would not have been able to do it on my own. It sucked! Well Sorry I went though all this in detail with you. Well I am sorry for your loss.

moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:54 AM on Sep. 19, 2009