Is it okay if i put lotion on my son even if he doesnt have a bath?

My son is 2 months old and his skin still seems dry. He is mixed. White and Jamaican. Though he isnt too dark, his skin still gets ashy. My Gentiva nurse said to use lotion with oatmeal in it. so i do. but i was told only when he has a bath. but i wonder would it make a difference if i put lotion on him without a bath?

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, I don't know about Jamaican, but if the skin is similar to AA, then you probably need to apply lotion even more often as he grows. My nieces and nephew are bi-racial, white & AA, and their skin tends to dry very quickly, and needs to have lotion to be healthy. Otherwise, their skin gets very dry very fast. Also, pay attention to his scalp (even after he has hair) because that "skin" often gets forgotten about.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think it'd be fine if he needs; I would put it on him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• it should be at the age now where he can take a bath every day now. My baby has a bath and lotion right after every night. Johnson and Johnson's lotions are good for everyday use. Also the Aveeno baby lotion. You might want to try the Aveeno Baby Bath soap. Since it has oatmeal and is moisturising too.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I bathed my baby every other day until she was 3 wks old then every day. I always put lotion on her skin even now at 22 mos just to keep her skin soft! We use Johnson and Johnson but I read recently Aveeno is preferred. I would assume put lotion on if the skin seems dry.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes lotion is fine even if no bath. Aveeno works wonders. I use the calming aveeno lotion and it works great.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You don't have to bathe the baby every single day if you keep the child clean. That is up to you. But I see no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't put lotion on the skin as often as you want to really. I don't think I have ever heard that you should limit the frequency of lotion applications! I have heard that it is best to apply lotion to the skin when it is still moist from bathing, but that doesn't mean it is harmful to apply it to dry skin any time! Could it be that you were told to apply it every time the child is bathed? That doesn''t mean you can't apply it at other times as well.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think the lotion is absorbed better into the skin after a bath, but I don't think it hurts to apply if you don't bathe him first. However after a couple of days of no bathing and applying lotion his skin could become irritated due to the build up of lotion possibly clogging the pores. Besides babies enjoy bathes and it relaxes them before bed. If you follow a good routine he will be happier in the long run. I also think bath time is a good bonding time for you and the baby. So look at it as more than just a "bath" and take advantage of this "one-on-one" time. I know I always feel better after a bath and it's the same for baby.
    Michelletheresa

Answer by Michelletheresa at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Keep in mind that applying to much lotion has the opposite effect...will dry skin out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My ped always told me not to use lotion--it dries the skin out--she said if their skin was dry to use vaseline ---So thats what i do, dd gets really dry skin and i slather her in vaseline and put her in pajamas and the next morning, her skin is soo soft again. --And i dont' have to to do that everyday.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 8:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My dd is bi-racial, white & AA. I use coconut oil or jojoba oil on her but I do it regularly. She gets a bath nightly but she gets ashy so I apply it a couple of times/day.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009