14 month old and three dogs!?!?

My dogs and my son get along great. None of the dogs bite, ever. The problem is his rough housing with them. I've been trying to teach him to pet them nicely but it is not working. He pulls their hair, tails, eyes, jumps on them, bites them, etc. They just sit there and take it, none of them get mad. My question is what can I do to teach him to be gentle with the dogs?

viridian

Asked by viridian at 12:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Crate or lock the dogs up in a spare room when they aren't supervised with your son & only let them out when you aren't doing anything else and & focus ALL your attention on their interactions. When he gets too rough, physically stop him. Pry his hands off the dogs & tell him "no". Do it every time & do it immediately --- he'll get the idea.

Then, the dogs get put up again until he goes to sleep or in a playpen or in his highchair or wheverever.

Sucks for the dogs either way... but confinement seems the better option at this point.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my 17month old does the same thing to my cat and he just runs a way and i tell him no dont do that and i hold and pet the cat so he knows to be nice to him..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• little ones dont know...i agree with bost pervious posters
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2009