How do you clean sliding door tracks?

Is there a trick to cleaning the dirty gunk that accumulates in the sliding door tracks? I've tried to sweep it with mediocre results. My next try will just be scooping out the dirt with Clorox wipes or paper towels but if you know a better way please share!

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 12:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would use a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush. Dip the brush in the water, then scrub tracks. Wipe clean with a towel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have the same question but with window tracks. I think I will get one of those steam cleaners with pressurized steam and see if that will work...less elbow grease :P
    mommyofCandT

Answer by mommyofCandT at 2:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Use the screw driver to dig the grime out. Many times dirt and grime will build in the door track causing more friction when you open the door. You need to scrape out this grime using your flathead screwdriver. This process is the longest and may take you as long as 15 to 20 minutes. Use the head of the screw driver and scrape the dirt and grime loose.

Vacuum the dirt and the grime. Now that you have scraped the dirt and grime loose, use your vacuum hose to clean up the mess.

Lubricate the door with the lubricating grease. Using your index finger, apply ample amounts of the grease on the tip of your finger and thoroughly coat the sliding door track.

Open and close the door repeatedly. Do this process for at least five minutes, this will allow the track to become fully lubricated.

When the door slides smoothly you are done.
    jakjasjon

Answer by jakjasjon at 3:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I've always found that WD-40 does a great job of dissolving the gunk, for both sliding doors and windows. I spray it on quite thoroughly, then let it sit a few minutes, and use a rag wrapped around a pencil to go up and down the tracks. For the last bits in the corners, I use a Q-tip.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would use a vacuum.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009