What can i do to poo?

Okay baby number one, i never had this darn problem. However i'm 9 weeks pregnant and i can't poo to save my life i went 3 days without and ended up having to give myself an enema (oh lord never knew i could have so much fun) it's fine doing it when i have to do it to someone else but it's deffinately not for me! So I've used the suppositories to and i get a few rocks out yes, i really mean rocks they look like rocks, i don't have hemroids that are flared up because there's no blood on the tp when i use the enemas etc... I tried the whole fiber thing, to find out that fiber only makes your poo harder and formed if that is true i don't know, so i haven't eaten fiber in the past few days, i'm going to call the doctor this week if i ever catch a free minute, however i wanted to know if there any foods to eat, before i start down the medication path with miralax or something like that. I had chineese yesterday and nothing! help!

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Drink as much water as you possibly can. Without water, fiber will only make you more gassy and uncomfortable. I was the same way when I was first pregnant. I remember one night specifically crying to my husband...literally crying..and I was like "I just eat and eat bc I'm hungry, but nothing ever comes out, it just goes in!!!!" lol. I thought I was getting a hemmoroid...and we were out of toilet paper too. I also wanted him to get me some metamucil. The poor guy...he was like, "So...you want me to go to the store...and get laxatives, hemmoroid cream...and toilet paper?" LMAO!!! Anyways...eventually, after drinking a ton of water, and avoiding starchy foods, everything was back to normal. You will be fine, even though it seems like it won't ever go back to normal, and I know you're miserable. You can also try prunes...they really do help. Talk to your dr. about it, though...he may have something more effective.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Fresh, leafy greens, fresh fruits, warm water can sometimes help you to go, and getting some light exercise like walking is also helpful in getting things to move along
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Avoid dairy products, they will only add to your problems. And fried foods, too.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 1:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Decaf coffee, and cooked broccoli usually do wonders for me! Can also look into stool softners (not sure if any are ok or not...).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh yeah...coffee is another one. My Dr. actually recommended me drinking a cup or two a day (yes, of the caffeinated kind) during pregnancy, for headaches. He said unless you're in a high-risk pregnancy, some caffeine is totally fine.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Ugh! Constipation is the worst. Did you try drinking some prune juice? Don't drink too much, though.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you are taking traditional prenatals they often have way too much constipting iron. So you can switch to a non-iron children's flintstones vitamin for example and replace the iron with a separate supplement. Floradix is non constipating, or Liquid Chlorophyll which is non constipating also and also a natural stool softener. Both are excellent for raising iron levels efficiently.

Fiber doesn't make your poo harder (though avoid fiber pills!). Thre are two types of fiber soluable and unsoluable. One type bulks your stool and the other holds water to keep the stool soft. You NEED fiber, lack of fiber is a bad thing. You must get a LOT of water. It doesn't help if you are dehydrated even a little.

Prune juice is good for a short term solution -- though its an acquired taste -- take it like a shot if you can't stand the taste. Black beans work very well for moving things along also! MORE...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• To help you pass the hard stools you already have in there, prop your feet up on a stool when you are the toilet so that you are in a more natural squat. This will help you not to hae to strain so hard. And it may sound bizarre, but a little olive oil around the anus can help pass a really hard stool more easily.

Also keep in mind that for a lot of people in the beginning of pregnancy their poo production slows down because their digestion has slowed down. The body wants to extract as much as it can out of foods you eat. The problem is that if you are taking a supplement that is constipating, it really exacerbates the issue.

Please... EAT YOUR FIBER! Without fiber, your stool can't hold water or bulk up!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009