Do you ever feel as though paying off your debt and getting yourself to where you can save is an endless battle?

We have fallen on some hard times in the past, as everyone has at some point or another, and are doing our very best to save money and pay things down...preferably pay them off, but we are being realistic and doing what we can each month, always paying extra and such...but I feel as though I am just at a standstill. I know that we truly are doing all we can to get it moving in the right direction while still allowing ourselves some small luxuries (internet, cable, hobbies). All of the bill are paid on time or early, so there is no delinquency, but I still feel very discouraged at times...is this normal? I see others that have it so much worse and I feel guilty for having a pity party for myself....what can I do to better my situation and not dwell on things that are going to take a long time to fix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I used to feel this way. We were up to our necks in credit card debt and car loans, but we did what you are doing and slowly but surely the debt got paid off. We still have student loans and a mortgage, but other than that we're good. Just keep staying positive and stay on track. It's really hard to do and you have to have a lot of disipline, but when your finally done it feels sooooo good and it's all worth it!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• CONSTANTLY! We went into the hole when I lost my job in May 2008. Then I got a job last fall and were just starting to pull ourselves out...and then DH lost HIS job. It's VERY frustrating.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• YES! my dh joined the army so we wouldn't add a hospital bill to my school bills. However, the army doesn't pay very much and we are sooo far in debt! I really feel we won't ever get out of it! he's getting out of the army in a year and we are going to try to make more than in the army without haveing to pay for daycare! I completely understand what you mean! It seems the #'s aren't getting any lower even by paying extra and you're just STUCK!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• everyday right now i feel this way, before i was laid off we were working hard to pay our cars off so we could buy a home, we had gotten all the credit cards paid off and any other bills, we just wanted to go into it with no car payments. then we found out our 5 year rental was being terminated so the owners could sell the house, I was tired of moving and the kids were emotional about moving again. we knew we could afford a house so we went for it then the week we got the keys to our home and started to move in I got laid off, that meant we lost our secondary insurance and out secondary income, I have a son with aspergers so we had medical bills instantly, then a series of medical issues with the other kids. Now I am trying to dig us out of a medical bill nightmare. I just have to keep telling myself it will get better we are almost there :) I try to look long term and focus on when things will be paid off.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes, sweetie, I have been feeling that way since my first lay off in Jan 2008. A few months later, I got hired with another company, everything was fine, then laid off in Dec 2008.

All I can do is try to find another job, smile, be strong, and breathe.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 3:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was once in your situation not so long ago. We had almost $30,000 in debt. I found a book called The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I checked it out at the library (6 times to be exact). It completely changed our family. It's all common sense stuff, but it's all spelled out for you so that you take things a step at a time. There is also a group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans, everyone is either working on getting out of debt or IS out of debt. He also has a show on Fox Business called The Dave Ramsey show and he's on the radio. Anyways we are now debt free except for the mortgage and it is such a relief because now we are saving money, we have retirement funds set up, college funds started for the kids, etc. Check the book out at the library and see if it's something you can do!!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009