2 1/2 yo thrown out of daycare, anyone have this happen to them?

I'm an Infant Specialist to a 2 1/2 little boy. I work with him because he has speech delay. However, there is more to it. Today his mom was sad to hear he had been kicked out of daycare. Parents were complaining because he would hit and throw toys at the other kids.

I should add, he will be evaluated for possible autism/aspergers. Does anyone have a similar experience with their child? Preferrably someone with a special needs child.

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a son with aspergers, I am also a daycare provider and before that I worked for educational services. While my son was never thrown out of a daycare, I can understand why a child would be if they are doing harm to other children. No matter what, special needs or not if at anytime a child becomes a threat to the other children in a persons care you have to do something about it, normally it starts with talking to parents about the behavior and how to modify a situation if a child has special needs, if a solution can not be found then terminating care is in the best interest of all parties. Imagine if that toy that was thrown had hurt someone then the center and the childs parents were sued for damages.

There are programs and centers for kids even at 2 y/o for special needs children, there are also in home providers, I had to take the same precautions when my son was young. I would be upset but try to see both sides.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes. My oldest son got thrown out of child care and he has special needs. He has a mild case of CP and i'm going to try to get him evaluated for sensory processing disorder.

Personally, i think that is the wrong kind of message to send to a kid. ...BUT as i am also a student of Early Childhood Education i also understand that there is not much that the professionals can do about it until after the child gets the REAL help that he needs.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• This is so sad! I'm so sorry ladies that day cares would actually do this. It makes me want to start a day care just for special needs kids. AH frustration.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I run a daycare and it is agains the law to discriminate against children w special needs. However, I have had to call a parent in the past cause her 2 boys misbiehaved so much that my baby got a bloody nose from one of them pushing her down, they would scream and hit,kick bite of things weren't there way and NO one in my care- or me- was happy. I would talk to the mom about it almost daily and she would look at me as if I was doing something wrong. I finally had enougho one day w them braking things and not able to discipline them that I called the mom and said she needed to find someone to pick up the kids cause I couldn't deal w it anymore.she got amd and didn't bring them back whicj was ok w me. My point is soemtimes parents need to look at the caregivers side. if the behaviour is disruppting normal functions of the dcare they need to find a different environment for them that can give 1 on 1 att.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009